Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Councilman
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,682
Message 1 of 5

Do thinkpad L380 support NVMe ?

Hi there everyone!

I've just bought a Thinkpad L380 and still waiting it to be shipped. For several reasons i need it to be equipped with a third party SSD, so i chose the (cheaper) 128gb SSD configuration.

After i've placed the order I've started wondering if the M.2 SATA3 configuration i've choose could mean that the laptop i've ordered could not support NVMe.

Could someone please tell me that the SATA3 choice affects only the SSD part and that i'll be able to mount correctly a M.2 SSD NVMe?

thanks 

Smed1
Paper Tape
Views: 1,631
Message 2 of 5

Re: Do thinkpad L380 support NVMe ?

I don't know for sure but I think it will (making the assumption all models have the same basic mainboard design).  I've seen forum posts where folks have gone from NVMe to SATA drives without issue.  I think I have the same model as you with a 128gb SATA M.2 and would also like to upgrade it to a larger (preferably 1tb) NVMe drive.

Have you attempted the upgrade yet?

Councilman
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,624
Message 3 of 5

Thanks.This is some kind of reassuring.  I haven't done anything yet because Lenovo delayed the shipping of about a week. Anyways, the CRUCIAL website ilooks very confident about the ram and ssd upgrades specifically for TP L380 so I've asked to them. They just told me that are both compatible "considering the fact that the TPL380 has a M.2 connector". And that's it. 

As soon as I can, I'll share the results of the upgrades.

Smiley Happy

thinkandthough
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,611
Message 4 of 5

L380  NVMe SSD  100% OK

Smed1
Paper Tape
Views: 1,546
Message 5 of 5

I've now successfully upgraded my L380 to 32gb of ram and a 1tb Samsung 970 Evo easily without issue.  Removing the bottom panel was a little stressful but slowly working round the edge with a guitar pick caused no damage.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors