cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Notes
Punch Card
Views: 6,930
Message 1 of 23

FIXED!! was: 0x0000008E BSOD - doesn't boot - was: R40 keeps restarting and restarting..

I've got several Think Pads and I have an old R40 that is doing something very strange. (XP pro - latest updates from MS)

When I turn it on:

1. It gets to the screen with the Windows Logo (and that whatever it is called that moves from left to right to show that it isn't locked up)
  2. The screen turns black like it normally does
  3. Instead of the blue Welcome screen that usually follows, I get a Blue Screen Of Death that doesn't stay long enough for me to read
  4. Then it displays a black and white DOS type screen giving me the choice ti start up normally, last good configuration, safe mode, etc.

Finally after a few false starts it will start up normally.

It choose Safe Mode it starts with no problem. If I choose last good configuration, it still exhibits the same problem.

I've run every test available with PC Doctor (supplied with teh R40) and everything passes.

I have a registry cleaner program (Registry Medic) and that doesn't fix the problem either.

I downloaded a program called Blue Screen View but it shows the last time the system crashed was in 2005

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

BTW, I'm not a tech, but I am an experienced user.

Thanks

Bob

Bob "Notes" Norton
owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com
Aftermarket styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft Songsmith
Notes
Punch Card
Views: 6,925
Message 2 of 23

Re: R40 keeps restarting and restarting and restarting and restarting and finally finishes booting

I forgot to add.

I did a full virus/trojan/spyware scan with ZA Security Suite and it's clean.

Also, it doesn't do it every time. Some times it boots up perfectly.

Thanks again,

Bob

Bob "Notes" Norton
Guru
Views: 6,904
Message 3 of 23

Re: R40 keeps restarting and restarting and restarting and restarting and finally finishes booting

Off the top of my head, I'd suspect a bad stick of RAM.

Try running memtest 86 on both of your RAM sticks.

I'd also remove the mini-PCI card and observe what happens.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Notes
Punch Card
Views: 6,885
Message 4 of 23

Thanks George,

How do I do memtest 86?

The RAM tested OK with PC Doctor's RAM test.

Does memtest 86 do anything that PC Doc doesn't do?

Yesterday I learned how to turn off the automatic restart so I should be able to get the error code the next time the BSOD rears it's ugly head.

I have an early job today, so I'll get back to it tomorrow (I'd  rather "play" with the computer, but work gets in the way)

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again,

Bob

Bob "Notes" Norton
Notes
Punch Card
Views: 6,852
Message 5 of 23

After 3 normal starts, it happened again. But since I turned off the auto restart I can read the message. This is what it says (hopefully without any typos) Smiley Wink

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. DIsable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F* to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x804E37EE, 0xF8C4C6AC, 0x00000000)

Beginning dump of physical memory

Physical memory dump complete.

Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance

I have adequate disk space, I don't understand the technical information so I don't know if a driver is ideintified or not and I don't know about BIOS options such as caching or shadowing.

I think I'm over my head hear, but willing to learn something.

I put the error message in google and got this page:

http://free.pc-error-repair.org/error/library/0x0000008e.html?gclid=CJS6pe-su54CFRafnAodZT1mlg

Does this seem legitimate?

Thanks

Bob "Notes" Norton
Guru
Views: 6,843
Message 6 of 23

I wouldn't go there...

If you can run the machine in the safe mode, there's a hardware problem sitting somewhere...

Try  booting from a "live" Linux CD and see how that works...

As for memtest 86:

http://www.memtest.org/

Good luck and keep us posted.

Cheers,

George

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Notes
Punch Card
Views: 6,806
Message 7 of 23

Thanks again George,

Yes, that "easy fix" site looked a little fishy to me, which is why I asked. I figured it is trying to sell me something that I don't need by luring me with something "free". It was the only site that popped up when I put the entire error code in google, and it was a sponsored link.

In my endless google searches, a ran across another forum where somebody solved the same problem by unplugging and replugging the RAM cards.

Well that seemed both easy to do and harmless so I unplugged them, cleaned the contacts with Caig DeOxit, put a light coating of Caig ProGold on them, and reinserted them. I use these products to keep the electrical connections on my music gear working well (I live in Florida near the ocean and I have a weekly outdoor gig outdoors at a marina).

It started fine this morning, but since the problem is intermittent, there is no way to know if it is the cure or not. If not, I'll try memtest 86.

I don't have a Linux disk to try, but if it happens again, I'll try booting from the Ghost rescue CD. I have the BIOS set up to boot from the CD first.

I'll keep you informed.

Bob

Bob "Notes" Norton
Guru
Views: 6,776
Message 8 of 23

You can download a disk from here:

www.linuxmint.com

Good luck

Cheers,

George

Notes
Punch Card
Views: 6,744
Message 9 of 23

Thanks.

I've never played with Linux, but it seems like it might be fun!!

BTW, since I reseated the memory boards and cleaned the contacts, it's started three times in a row with no problem. Still not enough to consider it "cured" but hopeful anyway.

Bob

Bob "Notes" Norton
Notes
Punch Card
Views: 6,720
Message 10 of 23

Well, this morning it didn't start up, same old BSOD

I have a long work day, so I haven't got time to try memtest or linux, but I did boot it from the Norton Ghost rescue disk.

I didn't do anything while I was in that mode, but I exited, and the R40 booted just fine.

I'll work on it Monday and keep you informed.

Many years ago, I worked as a telephone repairman, and one thing I have always found challenging was intermittent problems.

Fortunately this is not my "main" computer and everything is backed up.

Bob

Bob "Notes" Norton

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors