Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: L, R and SL series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

9 Posts

12-30-2010

India

21 Signins

126 Page Views

• Views: 126
  • Message 1 of 4

Fan error,windows stopped booting,replaced hard drive,Windows boots mouse problem

2012-08-23, 16:54 PM

Hi

My current pc specs

windows 7 ultimate,hdd:320 gb(now replaced),1gb RAm

2 weeks ago my lenovo R61 started showing fan error,I force fully sometimes closed laptop by pressing power button for 5 sec around 10-15 times because it never gets shut down,after opening it by pressing Esc key.

Then I opened it,saw dust,cleaned fan dust.And it worked smoothly but after one day,windows stopped booting at logo glowing screen.It hangs there for so long.Again forcefully shut down.

Luckily i installed ubuntu too on separate partition.It was working normally but few days later,ubuntu also stopped booting.

Then  I thought to replaced my current hard disk(320 gb)  with my older one(It is 160 gb,it has windows 7 installed, i took it from my brother lappy of SL500).

And my pc boots normally,it worked but again with some times showing fan error and on pressing Esc,logging in

windows 7,sometimes mouse automatically right clicks (i have updated mouse drivers).

No fan is available in india of its model,although i have now extra one cooling pad,which keeps laptop cool.

Questions:

Is my hard disk(320 gb) has failed?

Is my fan error eventually going to destroy my motherboard,if i do not replace fan?

Why sometimes fan error comes and some times not, and why mousepad sometimes gets disabled on some parts like taskbar,and then it works,sometimes automatic right clicks ,then later works.?What is problem

Options

547 Posts

07-19-2012

Raleigh, NC

289 Signins

17795 Page Views

• Views: 17795
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Fan error,windows stopped booting,replaced hard drive,Windows boots mouse problem

2012-08-23, 17:03 PM

Typically, a fan error means you have a bad fan and if not that, probably a motherboard problem.  I would first try ordering a new fan (I will locate a part number for you).

Hard shutdowns do damage because the OS could still be writing system information when the PC suddenly goes off, and on the next reboot, you may have a damaged file.

Did you find a post awesome? A great response? Kudo them!
Did the post you read answer your question? Did someone help you figure out your problem? Hit Solution Provided and give that person a 'thank you' for helping you out!

Options

547 Posts

07-19-2012

Raleigh, NC

289 Signins

17795 Page Views

• Views: 17795
  • Message 3 of 4

Re: Fan error,windows stopped booting,replaced hard drive,Windows boots mouse problem

2012-08-24, 14:50 PM

I had another idea this morning.  Since you indicated you've already tried cleaning the fan, you may want to try the steps in this T61 Knowledge Base article before ordering a new fan, just to see if it solves your problem.  It can't hurt to try, as you will need to order a new fan anyway if it doesn't help.  Make sure you follow the steps to replace the thermal grease/paste.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T61-and-prior-T-series-ThinkPad/T61-and-T61p-fan-and-heatsink-thermal-grease-and-thermal-pads/ta-p/394627

Did you find a post awesome? A great response? Kudo them!
Did the post you read answer your question? Did someone help you figure out your problem? Hit Solution Provided and give that person a 'thank you' for helping you out!

Options

9380 Posts

11-27-2007

Slovakia

15518 Signins

2040239 Page Views

• Views: 2040239
  • Message 4 of 4

2012-08-25, 13:11 PM

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms