Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UltimaNemo
What's DOS?
Views: 1,413
Message 1 of 6

Fingerprint reader not working

I booted my laptop yesterday and found that my fingerprint swiper was not working.  The message on the screen kept flipping from "please swipe finger to continue" and "press any key to login".  I don't know what caused it and i'm running a full system diagnostic right now, but if that doesn't fix the issue is there a way to fix the swiper or bypass it?  The most unfortuante thing is that I have forgotten my windows password to boot.
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 1,411
Message 2 of 6

Re: Fingerprint reader not working

UltimaNemo, welcome to the forum,

it would be helpful if you could post which R-series and Operating System you have, even better post the Type and Model Number this will help members to help you. Please do NOT post your s/n.

I also suggest you try hard to remember your windows password. How to subvert this is not allowed to be discussed here as stated in the forum rules.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

UltimaNemo
What's DOS?
Views: 1,409
Message 3 of 6

Sorry for not mentioning.  I have a R61 running a fully up to date copy of windows XP Professional.  The type is 7733-01U.  I understand why you would not want to post password bypass methods pubically, just the stakes are quite high if I can't get back into my machine.  I have my entire fall term's worth of notes from class typed on there, and if I can't get back in I will lose that data and not be able to pass my classes and by a larger extension graduate this term.  Hope this addition of info helps.
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 1,400
Message 4 of 6

You should re-seat your Palm Rest connector, meaning disconnect and reconnect it in case there is a bad contact. Instructions can be found here. If that doesn't help read on.

If you can't remember your password, make sure you get your files of the drive e.g. by attaching it to another computer by using an usb caddy.

Call service as your finger print reader may be defective and they should send you a new one. It should not be necessary to send you R61 in as the Palm Rest is an CRU (Customer Replacable Unit).

Hope this helps

P.S. Three important rules about computing, 1. create backups, 2. make backups and  3. backup your backups. Smiley Wink

Message Edited by andyP on 11-08-2008 09:26 PM

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

UltimaNemo
What's DOS?
Views: 1,326
Message 5 of 6

Well, I checked the physical connection of the scanner and its fine.  I then decided that this could be a driver issues so I used the Recovery program to roll back to a restore point.  Once it said I had successfully moved back to the restore point, I attempted to login to windows but now I can't reach windows! I know its there, but every time that I boot the computer it takes me directly to the Rescue and Recovery program by ThinkVantage.  Any suggestions?
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 1,311
Message 6 of 6

Oh ha, that doesn't sound good.

Turn the system off and then turn it on again and press the ThinkVantage button to enter the R&R program, then choose re-start. This sometimes helps. You could also try the Master boot record repair kit or try a Windows repair using an installation cd.

Andy  

Forum Search Option

PepperonI blog 

Top Kudoed Authors