Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ronfromfresno
What's DOS?
Views: 562
Message 1 of 3

Hard drive issues on a newer SL510

Yesterday my available drive space droppd from 100gb to 5gb in a matter of minutes.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this would be. 

To further complicate matters I contacted Norton and had them run a scan and they say there are no viruses and the system is working perectly. 

I am in the process, now, of backing up my files to DVDs and am noticing that after I clear out my files my disc space will be around 100gb free out of 210gb, still 100+gb of space lost.  My available space also seem to inch downward while creating these DVD's.

Sorry for the odd problem but I can't seem to figure this out, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ron

gsfriend
Blue Screen Again
Views: 530
Message 2 of 3

Re: Hard drive issues on a newer SL510

A virus or spyware certainly could cause the computer to report incorrect drive space, but Windows could too.  Did you try running a drive check to see if that cleared up the issue? 

Also, if you have a lot of files AND you have the Rescue and Recovery program enabled to automatically run and store backups to your local drive, that could be causing the drive space to get sucked up.  Files being written to DVDs are qued up in a temporary folder, so if your temp folder is not auto-clearing those burned files that might explain the problem too.

Download and Run SpyBot and CCleaner to clear out spyware and temp files, then run a drive check and reboot to see if that works. 

ronfromfresno
What's DOS?
Views: 511
Message 3 of 3

Re: Hard drive issues on a newer SL510

Thanks for the adivce, I have run a disk check and it can back OK, how can I find out if I have a restore system running and how can I clear it out and shut it down.  I have cleared out all except a couple of programs like Micorsoft office Pro and Roxio, but I am still showing only 100gb available out of 220gb, so I'm still about 100gb off.

Thanks for any and all help,

Ron

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors