Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
trikka
Punch Card
Views: 5,155
Message 1 of 13

Headphone output loudness

The volume level of my SL400's headphone jack is insanely high. With my 80 ohm Beyerdynamic DT250 headphones, only the bottom 20% of the master volume control is usable (based on using a little app called Volume Tracker to have the "wave" volume slider move in sync with the master one). With cheaper, everyday headphones that have lower impedance, the problem is even worse.

This means I have to use an inline volume control to attenuate the output in order to increase the useful range of the volume control, and limit the maximum possible output to prevent my ears getting blasted should some piece of software spontaneously up one of the volume sliders. It's annoying having to carry around this "dongle" as a workaround.

Anyone else experienced this problem? Seems to be both a usability and safety issue.
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 5,135
Message 2 of 13

Re: Headphone output loudness

Hello,

it seems that your head-phones are pretty good.

But the impedance is breaking at high volume levels

"the lower impedance version (80 ohm) will break down at high volumes" one user reports there.

I haven´t  heard about an impedance problem on Thinkpads, yet.

Lowering the impedance of your head-phones, by an adapter, will have an effect of lowering clarity, I think.

regards

Andreas

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th Gen. Silver Edition, ThinkPad 13, Yoga 900, ThinkPad T430s, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

trikka
Punch Card
Views: 5,125
Message 3 of 13

I only gave details about my headphones to indicate I was using a pair that are less loud at a given volume setting than what 9 out of 10 people have. Plug in lower impedance headphones, and everything I said still applies, but worse. With my 16 ohm Sennheiser CX300's for example, you can hear background hiss from the SL400's jack, and you only need to push the master/wave volume sliders to around 12% before they get dangerously loud.

I'm not sure how much using an inline volume control affects sound quality, but to me the main problem is having to cart one around just to use the laptop's headphone jack safely.
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 5,114
Message 4 of 13

Hello,

please try to unistall your third-party software, it may be, that it interferred with audio drivers and

higher the sound not adquately.

After that and nothing changes I would suggest to call support and tell them your story and about your safety issue.

May be you have to send it to depot for exploration. 

But may be there´s another suggestion, from other SL user?

Regards

Andreas

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th Gen. Silver Edition, ThinkPad 13, Yoga 900, ThinkPad T430s, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 5,073
Message 5 of 13

I use iPhone's headphones, and I'm not aware about any of it's insight technical details (like the ohm level you had mentioned), and the output sound I get with it isn't too loud to blast my ears at full level while listening to music in my itunes library in Vista. YMMV.
Message Edited by Maliha on 10-04-2008 05:59 PM
------------------------------------------------------------

Maliha (I don't work for lenovo)
ThinkPads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]

IdeaPad: U350

Apple:- Macbook Air [Snow Leopard]
Did someone help you today? Compliment them with a
Kudos!
Was your question answered today? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
de.gif  Lenovo Deutsche Community   es.gif  Lenovo Comunidad en Español 
Visit my YouTube Channel

Sxooter
Token Ring
Views: 4,987
Message 6 of 13

I'm using SkullCandy Full Metal Jackets which are 16 ohm ear bud head phones.  They sound great on my sl400.  I set the master volume to about 95%, and the PCM / WAVE output to 60 to 70% and the slider on my headphones maxed, and they sound fantastic.  Little or no hiss.  It sounds like you've got some kind of software shiv in your OS that's cranking up the volume digitally and causing distortion.  I can get the same effect if I use the -af volume= setting of mplayer and go over 8 or so.  (I run ubuntu btw.)
vtmemo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,556
Message 7 of 13

Trikka, I have a similar issue, but haven't gotten any response on it:

Very high levels coming from the audio jack (headphone out), hissing during almost all sound output, and crackling / popping during any significant output.  Putting the sliders above even 8 on the software control is WAY too loud.

For reference, I replicated the problem using Sennheiser HD-496 and EH-350 headphones, both of which are low impedance, high quality, excellent sets of phones.  They do NOT encounter this problem while using my iPod or other audio devices.

Still very confused as to why this is happening... 

My system:

SL 500, WinXP Pro, 2.1 GHz dual core, 2 Gb Ram

cybortech
Paper Tape
Views: 4,432
Message 8 of 13

Hi there,

I purchased my Lenovo SL500 about month ago, and I'd be quite happy to figure out how to return this crap. First of all, mine came with Vista Bussines preinstaled. I hate Vista, as it's way too slow in comparison with XP and I decided do downgrade it to Windows XP using CD's provided by Lenovo. After that laptop became a lot more faster but... I tend to use headphones when working on a laptop. And the very first impression which I got was that sound from audio jack is a HELL WAY TOO LOUD. Also, every couple seconds system kept freezing for a second - it was noticable when moving cursor around. I resolved that problem by uninstalling Synaptics touchpad driver driver - in result I can't use touchpad scrolling, but at  least system is not freezing at all. Couldn't resolve problem with audio output thou, so I decided to reinstall system again but this time using original Microsoft Windows CD instead of lenovo's cd. Unfortunatelly no bloody change. Audio is still too loud, and I can't use headphones at all, as it makes my ear bleed. To be more specific - I tried Sony earphones (top of the range) and Koss headphones. Same crap on both of them.

As I remember I didn't have that problem on Vista, but instead when listening to the music sound was crackling... and that was actually one of the reasons which made me to downgrade to XP. So it looks like a driver issue. Now I'm thinking of going back to Vista. Ridiculous. Well I forgot to mention about fan noise as well, which is always on, and that's just the another highly annoying thing. I just can't get over the fact that I've chosen Lenovo SL500 over Sony's Vaio laptop which friend of mine has and is very happy with....

front-of-house
Punch Card
Views: 4,446
Message 9 of 13

@Sxooter wrote:
I'm using SkullCandy Full Metal Jackets which are 16 ohm ear bud head phones.  They sound great on my sl400.  I set the master volume to about 95%, and the PCM / WAVE output to 60 to 70% and the slider on my headphones maxed, and they sound fantastic.  Little or no hiss.  It sounds like you've got some kind of software shiv in your OS that's cranking up the volume digitally and causing distortion.  I can get the same effect if I use the -af volume= setting of mplayer and go over 8 or so.  (I run ubuntu btw.)

On my SL 500 I'm using  these.

They sound pretty dang sweet, especially since I've reduced the latency.  No pops or clicks, plenty of volume, just ....sweet!

I have a pair of Sennheiser CX400's in delivery. Curious to see how they perform.

SL500 2746 CTO, 2.0 7370, 3 GB ram, Vista Hm. Prem.SP2
Bios ver. 1.24
cybortech
Paper Tape
Views: 4,443
Message 10 of 13

F-O-F

what system do you use. It's Vista isn't it?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors