Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NNNNN
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 7,878
Message 1 of 7

How to restore Thinkpad T43 or R52 using rescue and recovery CD's

The genuine IBM Recovery CD Set will re-install your ThinkPad T43 or R52 (listed types only) with the original pre-load factory software, including Windows XP Professional with a legal, valid license, and all the original IBM Drivers and applications.

1. Set your Laptop to Boot From the CDROM Drive.
IT MAY ALREADY BE set to boot from CD if a bootable disc is in the drive so try and see if it does first with the disc labed 'rescue and recovery'. If it does then just skip to step 2. If it does not then you will have to enter the computers BIOS setup to tell it to.
NOTE: When in the BIOS SETUP DONT CHANGE ANYTHING ELSE if you are not absolutely sure what you are changing.
ACCESSING THE BIOS:
 During startup at the first screen (says "IBM Thinkpad") press F12 then F1 to enter the bios setup program.
Use keys to navigate to 'startup' then to 'boot'. Press enter and following instructions in the right hand panel move the items to make your CD or DVD drive (Atapi CD0) AHEAD of your main hard drive (IDE HDD0). It doesn't matter if 'legacy floppy or USB are ahead of either of them if they are not connected. PRESS F-10 TO SAVE AND EXIT the bios setup program.
2.Restart the computer with the first disc i.e. Rescue and Recovery CD already in the drive. The recovery program will come up. A smaller window will come up.
3.Follow the on screen prompts.
Choose to restore to Factory Specifications to Install OS, Applications and Drivers
 At some point it may ask if there is a supplemental disk. This is the one that says 'Lenovo'.
4.Follow on screen prompts (i.e. insert disk 1)
5.The prompts will continue to ask for the discs in numbered order.
6. Follow the instructions on the screen to restore laptop to factory settings
7. Do not boot directly to the hard drive until the entire recovery process is complete i.e until you have used all the recovery cds for the set.
8. During the recovery process the computer will reboot multiple times. Do not do anything to interrupt the process unless you are asked to insert any specific disk.

AT THE END:
Promps may ask for the supplemental disc again, follow the on screen prompts.
Computer will restart, you may see the original recovery screen. BE PATIENT, The files still have to expand. You may not see any prompts for a couple of minutes.

SOMETIMES: (I dont know why)
After loading all the discs and after it takes you to the recovery program if nothing happens AFTER A GOOD PERIOD OF TIME, BE PATIENT, remove all discs and click on restore factory contents AGAIN. It will expand all the files (takes a while) and restore your system.

Afterwards computer will restart multiple times as it continues to load windows, programs and drivers. Follow all the on screen prompts until it is done.

Once everything is done go to microsoft (All Programs > Windows update) and load all new service packs and updates.

Partially taken from the internet and written for a customer. Tried and tested. PLEASE ADD TO KNOWLEDGEBASE.

NOTE: instructions may also be valid for other Model Thinkpads.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 7,838
Message 2 of 7

Re: How to restore Thinkpad T43 or R52 using rescue and recovery CD's

Hi N5!

Thanks for this great tip!

serene

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate Messaging
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
Please do not PM me - questions belong in the forums. I will not respond to PMs. Thanks.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 7,831
Message 3 of 7

@NNNNN wrote:

SOMETIMES: (I dont know why)
After loading all the discs and after it takes you to the recovery program if nothing happens AFTER A GOOD PERIOD OF TIME, BE PATIENT, remove all discs and click on restore factory contents AGAIN. It will expand all the files (takes a while) and restore your system.

IIRC this was the normal recovery/restore procedure for older ThinkPads.  First the recovery image is installed, then the machine reboots to Rescue and Recovery to use that image to restore the rest of the hard drive. User input is required at that point to select restore.

Newer machines combine both operations.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

NNNNN
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 7,801
Message 4 of 7

Thanks!, I wondered about that.

NNNNN
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 7,800
Message 5 of 7

To serene > no problemo!

NNNNN
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 7,799
Message 6 of 7

EDIT ADDED : GETTING UPDATES

I Should have put this in the original post

A few things must be done first in order to use 'windows update'

It's easy.
ONCE RESTORE IS DONE AND BEFORE GOING TO WINDOWS UPDATE
Some updates should be installed seperately so the windows update site will work properly

To install the latest updates:
>connect to the internet.
>Download and install internet explorer 7 (8 can be installed once service pack 3 is installed)
>Download and install windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) Network installation for IT and developers.
>You may also need (if asked) to download and install 'net framework 2.0' . If so just search for it, Download and install from microsoft.
>You can THEN go to windows update (all programs>windows update) and install all other updates.

good luck

robeward
Paper Tape
Views: 6,799
Message 7 of 7

Re: EDIT ADDED : GETTING UPDATES

I have the six recovery CDs from lenovo. I haven't used this laptop in a while due to a broke HDD. I have the boot order correct in the bios. When I insert first CD and reboot my computer does not recognize it as a boot able CD and never gives the option to boot from CD. Is there something I am missing? Thanks.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors