Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: L, R and SL series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

08-22-2010

Netherlands

11 Signins

110 Page Views

• Views: 110
  • Message 1 of 8

Important TIP Concerning bug with passwords set in bios!

2010-08-22, 16:21 PM

Hey everyone,

Im the proud owner of the Lenovo SL-500 series laptop. I never had any problems until today:

I decided to add a Supervisor and Boot password into the bios for better securing my files, I found a giant problem here and I found the solution that maybe other users would like to know too:

Example:

As password ive set "abc123#1" in the bios, it asked me to confim this password and I did. Everything is fine so far.

I reboot my laptop and it prompts me to type in my boot password:

Password: "abc123#1"

Denied

Hey now this is strange, the password I just set got denied. (Stress levels was up to 90% instantly, cause as you might know Lenovo data security is so good that you would need a new motherboard if you cant get the correct password!)

I tried tons of passwords but it kept refusing the password. Until I found the problem and solution by lots of luck!

the # symbol is NOT supported properly in the bios. If you set the password it allows it. If you try to change it and retype old password it allows it. But when you are out of the bios and the password prompt appears. It wil not understand the special symbol.

This causes your password to be invalid cause its not the "same" password.

Solution:

I replaced the # with the TAB key on my keyboard

So instead of typing the # I hit my TAB key once (yes it magicly counts as a symbol).

So my password was "abc123"TAB"1". Instantly my laptop booted further and I was able to acces the bios again and remove my set password by using the TAB key instead of the special symbol # in my password.

So for future reference: Do not set a special symbol as password in your bios. Although it acts like it is correct. It will brick your laptop and this will cost you a new motherboard if you dont find out what the symbol is replaced by.

In my case # == TAB, I dont know what this is about for the other special symbols and im not going to try this!

I hope people will appreciate this information and this will help other people out who accidently bricked there notebook by applying a special symbol to there password!

Good luck fellow Lenovo users! :smileyhappy:

Answer
Options

2192 Posts

05-02-2008

Malaysia

14693 Signins

219550 Page Views

• Views: 219550

Re: Important TIP Concerning bug with passwords set in bios!

2010-09-01, 8:34 AM

Maliha,

Thanks for consolidating the related topics. According to those discussions, their workaround was to omit the special character when accessing the bios, but this current thread is advising to use different key replacing a special character. However, that doesn't matter as the most important thing is to disallow the use of special character in the first place. Don't you think so?

Technokiddy,

I reported this issue and was advised to check out version 1.28 --> BIOS Update (Bootable CD) - ThinkPad SL300, SL400, SL400c, SL500 and SL500c

Prior to updating this new bios, make sure to disable the BIOS password to avoid any unexpected error.

Problem fixes:
  - Improved password security.
  - Fixed an issue where the LCD brightness control might not wo

Nonetheless, i do not know whether use of special characters are banned or not when attempting to set up a new password.

There are some questions i need to double confirm with you too.

1. Could you tell me how you inserted special character "#" to Supervisor Password?  In English and Netherlands  keyboard layout is character "#" is given by shift+3
  2. Are you sure that you chosen character "#" ?
  3. Go to notepad in windows and press the same key which you are pressing is BIOS password settings. What character do you see?

-Cleo

T410, x240

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Replies(7)
Options

2192 Posts

05-02-2008

Malaysia

14693 Signins

219550 Page Views

• Message 2 of 8

2010-08-23, 8:18 AM

Hi Technokiddy,

Welcome to Lenovo Community!

Thanks for pointing this out! This really surprised me. If it doesn't support special characters, it should not allow the password to be saved in the first place.

In order to avoid this issue faced by other users, i should report this to engineering. May i have some info below for i could share it with engineering for them to follow up? Please send a private message to me instead. Do not post private info in public.

• Full Name
  • Phone Contact
  • Machine Type Model
  • Machine Serial Number
  • Bios version

Thanks!

Regards,

Cleo

T410, x240

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Options

3322 Posts

07-31-2008

Pakistan

1715 Signins

151632 Page Views

• Views: 151632
  • Message 3 of 8

2010-08-23, 14:35 PM

Cleo there are several other threads on this very issue already, for instance take a look at these:-

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/SL-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/Problem-with-the-hard-disk-password-HDP-user-master-and-the/m-p/70459#M885

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/SL-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/SL500-forgot-BIOS-System-Password-how-much-Lenovo-charges-to/m-p/139385#M3863

As for OP, good work, kudos for your post!

------------------------------------------------------------

Maliha (I don't work for lenovo)
ThinkPads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]

IdeaPad: U350

Apple:- Macbook Air [Snow Leopard]
Did someone help you today? Compliment them with a
Kudos!
Was your question answered today? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
de.gif  Lenovo Deutsche Community   es.gif  Lenovo Comunidad en Español 
Visit my YouTube Channel

Answer
Options

2192 Posts

05-02-2008

Malaysia

14693 Signins

219550 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2010-09-01, 8:34 AM

Maliha,

Thanks for consolidating the related topics. According to those discussions, their workaround was to omit the special character when accessing the bios, but this current thread is advising to use different key replacing a special character. However, that doesn't matter as the most important thing is to disallow the use of special character in the first place. Don't you think so?

Technokiddy,

I reported this issue and was advised to check out version 1.28 --> BIOS Update (Bootable CD) - ThinkPad SL300, SL400, SL400c, SL500 and SL500c

Prior to updating this new bios, make sure to disable the BIOS password to avoid any unexpected error.

Problem fixes:
  - Improved password security.
  - Fixed an issue where the LCD brightness control might not wo

Nonetheless, i do not know whether use of special characters are banned or not when attempting to set up a new password.

There are some questions i need to double confirm with you too.

1. Could you tell me how you inserted special character "#" to Supervisor Password?  In English and Netherlands  keyboard layout is character "#" is given by shift+3
  2. Are you sure that you chosen character "#" ?
  3. Go to notepad in windows and press the same key which you are pressing is BIOS password settings. What character do you see?

-Cleo

T410, x240

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

3322 Posts

07-31-2008

Pakistan

1715 Signins

151632 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2010-09-02, 3:19 AM

Cleo, the tab key registers no star (*) on my system while typing the password on boot. Test for OP is to try his password without pressing tab key and skipping special character like abc1231, if it works then he could be mistaken about his tab key theory.

Kudos!
Visit my YouTube Channel

Options

2192 Posts

05-02-2008

Malaysia

14693 Signins

219550 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2010-09-13, 7:46 AM

Maliha,

After analyzing your post and the situations you provided the links earlier, my guess is that when setting password in bios by inserting special key, for instance '%' , the asterisk * would appear as though it was part of the password. In fact it was actually not recorded, which was why the forum users suggested to omit the special key when typing password to access the system.

Appreciate anyone could feedback whether v1.28 has addressed their issue or not.

Update: engineer verified that with bios v1.28, asterisk * will not be seen if a user tries to set a password with special characters. It means special characters will not be registered/accepted.

Regards,

Cleo

T410, x240

Options

3322 Posts

07-31-2008

Pakistan

1715 Signins

151632 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2010-09-16, 17:34 PM

Sorry Cleo as I wasn't able to update on the issue since I was away on holidays, I also don't own SL400 anymore.

Thanks for looking into the matter though!

Kudos!
Visit my YouTube Channel

Options

2192 Posts

05-02-2008

Malaysia

14693 Signins

219550 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2010-09-22, 11:31 AM
Hello Maliha,

No problem. I hope you had a wonderful vacation!

Cheers,
Cleo

T410, x240

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms