Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: L, R and SL series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

11 Posts

07-30-2015

United States of America

23 Signins

141 Page Views

• Views: 141
  • Message 1 of 2

Issues booting from cloned ssd

2015-11-29, 10:04 AM

I use a L440 Thinkpad with windows 10. Recently I decided to upgrade my laptop which have a regular HDD. So bought a 480GB Sandisk SSD, mounted that to a caddy. Then replaced my optical drive with that caddy. When I turned on my laptop the SSD showed up in  "disk management". Formatted it with GPT by following the instructions available online. Then cloned the disk using EaseUS Todo backup. Everything is cloned successfully. But unfortunately I cannot boot from the SSD. Even the SSD doesn't show up in the boot order.

Following various internet forums tried disabling "Secure boot" and choosing "Legacy only" from BIOS. But nothing works. It is to be noted that both my HDD and SSD are connected. As per instructions I shutdown right after cloning the disk into SSD, but nothing. Any help regarding how I can boot from SSD?

Options

10583 Posts

09-04-2014

Slovakia

32859 Signins

1222070 Page Views

• Views: 1222070
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Issues booting from cloned ssd

2015-12-08, 10:49 AM

Hello protik77,

I don't know if you successfully cloned you drive inbetween times but were you cloning using Easus installed on your original drive or from external media; CD/USB?  Doing so is preferable and quite often it is important to reverse clone by inserting the unformatted new drive into the primary drive bay and then clone to it with the original installed drive in the ultrabay or USB enclosure.

Andy

English Community Administrator
Lenovo eServices

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by awarding them a Thumbs Up

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms