Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pachek
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,550
Message 1 of 7

L380 YOGA fingerprint - almost never works

9 out of 10 times (maybe more) the fingerprint scan DOES NOT WORK. WIth the added bonus that Windows 10 does not allow to supress user login, so annoying PIN comes mandatory. Im very dissapointed but mostly strangled since my mobile phone, motog (lenovo) 2016 mid-low range of 1/10 price of PC, recognizes my fingerprints almost ALWAYS. the only way to improve the issue on the lenovo PC is to re-scan the finger(s),which last maybe couple of days. why on earth a 1KE PC needs re-scan every two days while a 100E mobile can last adjusted for a year? only lenovo engineers know

Lenovo Employee LancelotSun
Lenovo Employee
Views: 1,534
Message 2 of 7

Re: L380 YOGA fingerprint - almost never works

Hi Pachek:

Have you tried to update the driver or re-install it?

1.) [Start]

2.) type "Device Manger"

3.) Navigate to 'Biometric Devices'

4.) Right-click on the fingerprint reader and select [Properties]

5.) On the 'Driver' tab, select [Roll Back Driver]

6.) Or uninstall the reader and then let the machine scan itself and re-install

pachek
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,506
Message 3 of 7

seems to be improved !
zerbettoandrea
What's DOS?
Views: 912
Message 4 of 7

I have had the same problem since an update 6 months ago. It has never worked, even with the methods described above. When i want to register the fingerprint it turns on the first tap without any action by me, suddenly it stops and does not receive any input anymore. 

After so long almost any hope is lost. Please help me! Smiley Happy

AndreLeBlanc
Paper Tape
Views: 902
Message 5 of 7

Interesting, I happened to see this thread when dealing with a different issue.  
I feel the same way!  This Synaptics model isn't nearly as good as the previous design which was the "single bar, swipe" type.2018-04-23_12-56-19.jpg

I tried re-enrolling my fingerprint and it seemed to help for a bit, but then started to lose effectiveness again.  This morning I ran the TVSU ("System Update") and it did find a newer driver available, so I installed it.  Time will tell if it helps.

Polo3
Paper Tape
Views: 639
Message 6 of 7

My L380 started doing exaclty this, as if there was always a finger on it. When I turn it on the first thing on the screen is "Couldn't read the finger print" even though I only touch the power button.... Did you find a fix?

AndreLeBlanc
Paper Tape
Views: 609
Message 7 of 7

Polo3,

I would recommend one or two things to help narrow down the issue.
1) Uninstall the fingerprint sensor from Device Manager.

In Device Manager, you'll find it under Biometric Devices --> Synaptics WBDI - SGX

Right-click on it and choose "Uninstall"

...and/or...

2) Go into your BIOS and [Disable] the fingerprint reader
Security --> I/O Port Access --> Fingerprint Reader

After disabling it in BIOS, confirm that you aren't getting any errors in Windows.  It should also still be absent in Device Manager.
If it's not in Device Manager and Windows isn't giving you errors, then re-enable it in BIOS.  

Next, run ThinkVantage System Update ("TVSU").  You may need to download it if you don't have it installed.  Apply any updates specific to BIOS, Firmware (SSD, IME, etc), and fingerprint drivers.  BIOS and firmware require their own reboots, so if both are available, you'll be rebooting for each update.

After all of this, if you are still having the fingerprint issues you described, it sounds like a hardware failure.

You can go here to check if you system is still under warranty with Lenovo.  https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/warrantylookup

EDIT: I just noticed your profile shows you in France.  You may need to find your local warranty page for France systems.

You'll need your serial number.  It is noted on the bottom of your laptop.  It'll be 8 characters.  Something like R90Q****

If your system is still udner warranty, place a service call for warranty repair. 

If you system is not under warranty, I would just keep the fingerprint reader disabled in BIOS and live without it.  (It's not that good as it is, so is there really a big loss there???)
Windows 10 has other ways to login besides fingerprint and simple passwords.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors