Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lesup
Blue Screen Again
Views: 819
Message 1 of 4

L380 Yoga (20M7) BIOS update bricked - requesting Boot Block Recovery Protocol

Hello Lenovo Experts!

Brand new L380 Yoga requested BIOS update after the first reboot. It seems it did not complete the procedure properly, possibly because it happened in midst of W10 update cycle.

After seeing BIOS flashing messages during boot it turned off and that was the last of it.

Now, when i power it up it only makes funky short beeps, that can be repeated with the Fn key. Lenovo diagnostics app is unable to decode them properly. Screen does not turn on. Only FnLock  and keyboard illumination seems to function. Besides that the laptop is reduced to a sad instrument capable of playing one not so catchy tune... I'll add a capture of it to the message for your enjoyment.

I would like to know if this model has a failsafe to reimage bios or is my only option to have the system board replaced through the warranty service.

Lenovo Employee joefoxK
Lenovo Employee
Views: 706
Message 2 of 4

Re: L380 Yoga (20M7) BIOS update bricked - requesting Boot Block Recovery Protocol

Hi, can we know more detail/steps? in the passed several weeks, we tried on many machines and the problem can't be duplicated. we are not sure whether it's caused by BIOS data crash or BIOS chip damage. we have a way to recovery BIOS data if it's crashed. 1. Prepare USB and format with FAT32. 2. Unzip attached package and put to root folder (with latest R0RET30W CAP) 3. Attached key, power on system and press F12 4. Choose key, should enter shell mode 5. Choose you key disk (fs0, fs1…) 6. Command Shellflash.efi /sn /sd /file R0RET30W.CAP

AriannaK
Blue Screen Again
Views: 343
Message 3 of 4

Re: L380 Yoga (20M7) BIOS update bricked - requesting Boot Block Recovery Protocol

Hello.

In the past couple months I recently began using an L380 Yoga. It's taken no damage, however upon waking up this morning and trying to bpot the system up, I recieved a black screen and a start up series of beeps.

I've finally stumbled across this thread, and the sound matches that of the one in the original post.

I'm hoping this is something covered under warranty?

I'm struggling to find a location nearby in which I could take it to be looked at, and am wondering if this is an issue others have had?

I have no idea if it was running updates and have not had any prior problems.

Lesup
Blue Screen Again
Views: 330
Message 4 of 4

If you get the beeps of death and are covered by warranty just take it to the service.

Before that you can try to follow these steps as that is probably the thing support will suggest first anyway.

If that fails and they suspect no foul play from your part they'll probably just replace the system board.

I was unable to test the BIOS reimaging from EFI as I had the board replaced by the time it was suggested here.  I am quite sure it would'nt have helped as there was no video output and system didn't seem to respond to much anything besides the Fn key - selecting boot media etc would not of been an option. At the time i was hoping there is a failsafe for reloading BIOS by a key combination or by specificly prepared USB thumbdrive as there seems to be with some models.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors