Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zzzzz1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,123
Message 1 of 8

L380 Yoga need fix for CPU throttle while charging

The clock speed throttles to 0.4ghz while charging. Tried everything. XTU, Bios settings, vantages. It still throttles. Pretty sure it needs a BIOS update to fix the problem. 

Rxunique
What's DOS?
Views: 1,032
Message 2 of 8

Re: L380 Yoga need fix for CPU throttle while charging

Same problem here, mine is i7-8550u. 0.4ghz when charging, can't do anything with it.

I also get a lot notifications of "not charging" or "slow charging" while it charges fine, my charger is the 45w one.

Also found a reddit thread on this 

https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/9h2vjc/underwhelming_experience_with_the_thinkpad_l380/

Gabriel163
Paper Tape
Views: 940
Message 3 of 8

I have the exact same problem but mine is just an L380 not Yoga.

My processor is an i7 8550U.

That makes the laptop almost unusable when charging.Charging.pngOn battery.png 

Charliekay74
Fanfold Paper
Views: 649
Message 4 of 8

I have also the problem with L380 Yoga with i7 8550U chip that it reduces cpu speed extremly if power cable is plugged into the notebook and it is charging. Its not possible to work with this properly. Can anybody help? Otherwise i have to send the notebook back to lenovo.

guillems
Paper Tape
Views: 571
Message 5 of 8

Suddenly and without updating any driver I start having this issue. The problem with my L380 Yoga happens only when connected to the docking station but not when using the USB C charger, so laptop is still somehow usable.

I updated everything (including bios) lenovo system update. Still same results and not clear if this is a software or hardware issue, laptop is only 2 months old. Another thing I've noticed is that this is something that doesn't happens inmediately the first time you boot up the PC, it needs a few minutes. Then the issue can be reproduced very fast.

While on docking station CPU multiplier gets stuck at 4x even if I try to force a task with high CPU consumption. Laptop becomes unusable.

explorer_l9pO0p2Qch.pngWhile on docking station CPU multiplier gets stuck and laptop becomes very slow.Simply disconnecting the docking station immediately unlocks the multiplier and everything gets back to normal

Mbr1vKiTZC.pngSimply disconnecting the docking unlocks the multiplier

I have tried another docking station and same results.

Charliekay74
Fanfold Paper
Views: 546
Message 6 of 8

I had this behavior right from the beginning. It was unusable. What do i need a high speed i7 cpu if its not allowed to develop full speed and throttled to 0,8 ghz instead of 3.0 or 4.0 if the ac cable is plugged in. All latest drivers installed, bios updated, energy settings of windows to 100 percent on battery and ac. Support Hotline could not help. I sended it back to lenovo in the end.

Highlighted
guillems
Paper Tape
Views: 536
Message 7 of 8

Ok, so looks then this a hw issue from the beginning only fixed with a full replacement .

I'm worried something that seems to be so noticeable escapes QA controls
Charliekay74
Fanfold Paper
Views: 465
Message 8 of 8

I now sended back the L380 Yoga with "U" CPU and switched to a Thinkpad W541 i7 with "MQ" CPU for applications with high CPU usage and parallel a X201 Tablet for peninput or outdoor usage. No Problems with W541 with CPU throttling up to now. 50-60 CPU Usage in Apps where i had 100 Percent Usage with L380 Yoga.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors