Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
billie90
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,635
Message 1 of 27

L380 Yoga - "slow USB charger connected"

Hi everyone, 

I'm experiencing some weird things with my L380 Yoga. Since some days, when I plug in the 65W original charger, Windows gives me the notification "slow USB charger connected". Lenovo Vantage correctly sees the 65W charger and charging times looks normal (although I didn't properly check). On top of that, when I plug in the charger, the LED turns on and off randomly for the first minute or so (and also the charging icon in windows goes on and off accordingly), then it stabilizes and it stays on until I unplug the cable.

Everything is updated, Airplane power mode is off. The laptop is not even a month old. 

Thanks for the help!

kareldecloedt
Paper Tape
Views: 5,512
Message 2 of 27

Re: L380 Yoga - "slow USB charger connected"

Hi

we are having the same issues with these devices. (Yoga L380)

already tried these solutions: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4012609/windows-10-fix-usb-c-problems

all suggestions are welcome

hbastosvsn
Paper Tape
Views: 5,504
Message 3 of 27

facing the same issue, brand new (4 days old) L380.

Also, while chargin the computer and charger become extreamly hot.

billie90
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,491
Message 4 of 27

I also tried that, did not solve the issue. I also tried to unistall and reinstall the driver for the lenovo power manager, nothing has solved the problem. I contacted the service and they offered a repair, which would be okay, but I would like to understand if it's really an hardware issue of if we can get around with a driver/BIOS update before sending my laptop for a service.

I just don't want to have my laptop replaced by a new machine and then after updating everything, ending up having again the same issue. Since apparently I'm not the only one with this problem, looks like some of the latest updates messed up with the power manager.

Can someone from Lenovo give us more insight in this regard? 

Thanks!

p.s.: also my charger and laptop get very very very hot while charging, especially the charger!

LoryCeck
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,430
Message 5 of 27

I have exactly the same problem with my L380. Considering that this problem has arisen in the last few days, it could have to do with the updates released in March. Even my charger overheats.

It's a serious issue.

billie90
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,413
Message 6 of 27

I'm pretty sure that the problem was created by the updates in March. This is really annoying.

Just to rule out things, I just tried another 65W charger from a friend and I have exactly the same issue as I described in my first post. 

hbastosvsn
Paper Tape
Views: 5,408
Message 7 of 27

By updates in March, you meant Microsoft or Lenovo?

Cause I just got my 5 days ago, finished installing windows, installed windows update including the "infamous" microsoft fall (october) upgrade, and all the lenovo stuff. 

I did all that with the batery at 100% and pluged-in, just after when started using it "normally" with charging cicles that I noticed the issue, so I wonder what's the source of the updates and if those can be reverted.

billie90
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,403
Message 8 of 27

My suspicion is on the Power Manager driver update version 10.0.88.0 (I received the update on the 25th of March). The weird thing is that rolling back to the previous version doesn't solve the issue, so I'm a bit lost. Also in my case the problem started after some time, more or less after two weeks of normal use (normal charging cicles, I got my laptop on the 11th of March). The even weirder thing is that I have the impression that despite this issues when I plug in the charger, I have normal charging times, as fast as I was used to have before the problem appeared. Do you also have the same impression?

kareldecloedt
Paper Tape
Views: 5,372
Message 9 of 27

"slow USB chager connected" and I have installed version 10.0.56.0

lenovo power manager.png

hbastosvsn
Paper Tape
Views: 5,360
Message 10 of 27

I really do not have comparison terms since I don't believe I ever did a cicle before the message, however based on the speed it takes to charge and experience with other laptops, it does feel it's chargin full speed. 

What troubles me is that both the laptop and the charger are getting extreamly hot, and I also noticed that probably due to that, the laptop thermal throttles the CPU. 

If most of you come from a state that this behaviour is not present and starts to be, either it's a hardware problem that may take some more time to reveal on some units (induced by heat or use), or it was a firmware/software regression bug. It would be good to know if all of you started experecing this about the same time, after being using it for a while without issues before.

Does anyone knows how to get atention to the topics from anyone from lenovo? I can open a support ticket, but it will be good to have their comments here. 

One other thing, where are you guys based and when did you get your L380? (this could help to see if it's like a batch defect or something) 

And just to be clear, I have a regular L380 (non yoga) but the units are not that diferent.

Thanks

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors