Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Oscar1929
Punch Card
Views: 3,921
Message 1 of 15

L380 battery charging thresholds issue

I got my L380 2 weeks ago and updated BIOS, all drivers and the Windows 10 from 1709 to 1803 at the first day.

After a few days, I recognize that, no matter the system start up or not, if I unplugge the Type-C charger and plugge it back, the battery charging thresholds setting will not function normally. Even though the battery message in both Windows 10 and Lenovo vantage shows "plugged in not charging", the system still slowly charge the battery till 100%. The only way to solve the problem is to open Lenovo vantage and restart the battery charging thresholds. Did anyone have this issue, too?

Lenovo vantage version is 4.13.82.0

BIOS version is R0RET30W 1.13

all drivers are up-to-date

LuFu
Paper Tape
Views: 3,806
Message 2 of 15

Re: L380 battery charging thresholds issue

Hello Oscar,

same behavior here. I'm even not sure, if plugging in and out is the relevant difference. Also switching on and off the function did not always help for me.

I'm using the L380 with the original USB-C docking solution and, as you may read in my other post, I have to switch of the threshold function every evening before plugging out. If not the battery will have lost approx. 6% for every 12 hrs it was sitting in the bag.

Does your vantage version for sure not have this issue? If yes, I would be tempted to delete and reinstall Lenovo Vantage, as I'm on 4.12.13 and the slowly charging is the same as yours.

BR

LuFu

Oscar1929
Punch Card
Views: 3,768
Message 3 of 15

HI LuFu,

Yes, I read your post few days ago. Unfortunately, I don't have USB-C dock yet, so I'm not quite sure the latest Lenovo Vantage could slove the docking issue or not. However, I'm pretty sure that besides the battery charging thresholds issue, other funtions in the Lenovo Vantage are working properly on L380, you may try to update Lenovo Vantage to 4.13.82.0 and see whether the docking problem solve or not. 

By the way, I tried to contect Lenovo supports. At the first time, they just send me an e-mail with some download links of BIOS and driver installation files, and told me to update those what I have already told them is up-to-date. Obviously, after reinstalled the BIOS and all other drivers, the charging thresholds issue is still hanging there. Now they asked me to send the machine back to have some test. That's why I'm wondering is there anyone have this issue, too. If yes, then I'm quite sure their engineers can reproduce the issue and try to find out the bug or the "Design defect". Not using user's machine for their debug.

BR,

Oscar

Oscar1929
Punch Card
Views: 3,750
Message 4 of 15

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 3,587
Message 5 of 15

We confirmed that L380 and L380 Yoga have a BIOS bug that makes battery charge threshold not work correctly.  It will be fixed in a future BIOS update.  Sorry for this trouble.

Oscar1929
Punch Card
Views: 3,524
Message 6 of 15

@someotherguy

After updating the BIOS to 1.14, the Battery Charge Threshold bug still exist. The battery charge threshold only work at the first time the battery charge to the threshold. If I plugged out the adpater and plugged it back, no matter the system is on or not, the battery start to charge pass through the threshold. Even worse is that I can't stop charging by restarting the Battery Charge Threshold in Lenovo Vantage. However, If I set the threshold lower than current battery capacity, the battery charge threshold seems to work properly. So, please check again on the issue.

--------------------------------

It even start to keep charging pass through the threshold in the "Sleep mode". Anyway,  I just rollback to BIOS 1.13, hoping Lenovo can face up to the problem.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 3,499
Message 7 of 15

Oscar1929,

The BIOS that fixes this issue hasn't been released yet.

Oscar1929
Punch Card
Views: 3,490
Message 8 of 15

Someotherguy,

Thanks for your notifying,
Well, it seems that the BIOS 1.14 got more issue than BIOS 1.13 in the thresholds on L380, maybe you could take this as reference in the following BIOS update. I am looking forward to having the exact BIOS that fixed the thresholds bugs. If I find out more issue on it, I will update at here.

BR,

Oscar

Ash32
What's DOS?
Views: 3,297
Message 9 of 15

Hello,

Is there some short-term work around to this issue, I am facing the same problem as well...

Thanks

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 3,263
Message 10 of 15

This issue will be fixed in BIOS version 1.15 which should be released any day now.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors