Did you mean: 
Greywheels
Paper Tape
Views: 257
Message 1 of 4

L380 yoga infrared camera use as scanner for 3d objects

Hi All-

New to the forum and a new thinkpad.

I'm trying to figure out how to use the infrared camera as a scanner for 3d objects.  This was a selling point of the machine for me, I just hope I ordered what I needed.  I'm running I5 no additional upgrades beyond cameras.

I did not go through the initial face recognition security feature, as this is not a need.  Is this needed to access the camera?

So I suppose my questions are:

What is needed to comlete this function?  The IR camera does not show up as an option on my camera choices, but does show up in devices.

Do I need to use specific software or download specific drivers tu utilize the camera as a scanner?

I'm certainly not computer savvy, and have done some checking in forums did I miss a topic?

Thanks for any help-

Eric

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 110
Message 2 of 4

Re: L380 yoga infrared camera use as scanner for 3d objects

Hi Greywheels! Welcome to our forums community. Unfortunately, the use of the infrared camera is for facial recognition to sign in instead of using a password. The infrared camera provides a personal and secure way for you to sign in to your computer with face
authentication. After setting the infrared camera for face authentication, you can unlock your computer by
scanning your face instead of using a password.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Greywheels
Paper Tape
Views: 104
Message 3 of 4

Hi Social Support-

Thanks for the welcome. 

Currently my laptop has been at Lenovo for repairs regarding the advertised infrared camera function.  It has been at Lenovo for over 10 days.  This is the last step I have taken in a series of steps which included:

• first talking to Lenovo support online help,
  • then taking it to a authorized Lenovo repair shop (referred by Lenovo support), charged $39 with no action taken
  • then talking directly to a Lenovo Support person, who then set up the return to Lenovo for repair. 

I have yet to be contacted by Lenovo about the issue or why it has taken so long to resolve. 

I purchased the computer because of the direct statement below that WAS found on the Lenovo website:

Works hard, to make your work easier

The ThinkPad L380 Yoga can take on your full workload, thanks to the latest Intel® Core™ processors (with optional Intel® vPro™ technology for advanced security and manageability). Add the optional infrared camera so you can scan images and convert them to objects for 3D printing or other creative design applications. Get ready to have a much shorter to-do list.

As a full-time professor, I am working on the development and integration of 3D printing into our college curriulum.  I purchased a ThinkPad L380 Yoga because I assumed, by the above advertisement copy (copy which was displayed on the Lenovo website until this past week, when it was changed to something drastically different), that this machine would meet both my needs and my budget. 

At this point, I assume Lenovo will solve the problem with my purchased L380 and provide me the advertised scanning feature.  Alternatively, if this cannot be done, I trust that the company will provide me with a logical replacement that meets ALL of the promised features of the L380 computer, as originally advertised.

Thanks for your support-

Eric

--Working harder, to make my work easier--

Highlighted
Administrator
Administrator
Views: 41
Message 4 of 4

Hello Greywheels,

I'm not aware that the current generation can support the function you describe; I've asked for clarification and at the same time opened a case for you and provided you with the case number in a private message. (Little orange box at the top of the page).

Andy

English Community Leader

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Deutsche Community Comunidad en Español English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество Communidade Portugues

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors