Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Schooltech
Serial Port
Views: 1,174
Message 1 of 20

L390 Yogas not charging

I'm with a school and we have about 350 L390s that we just deployed to our staff about 3 weeks ago.  In that time we have had probably about 10-15 of them that will randomly stop charging.  They will not recognize any A/C adaptor, it doesn't even recognize that one is plugged in.  The only way we have found to fix it is press the reset button on the bottom with a pin or paperclip.  As soon was we do that and plug the laptop back in, it will start charging again.  We can't figure out what is causing it.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Schooltech
Serial Port
Views: 1,108
Message 2 of 20

Re: L390 Yogas not charging

We have had about 5 more this week with the same issue.  Still unable to determine the cause.  Nothing in the event log other than the computer shutting down unexpectedly...due to battery dieing.

Schooltech
Serial Port
Views: 1,011
Message 3 of 20

Still continuing to have the issue.  Average about 8 a week with the problem.

mdubay4870
What's DOS?
Views: 918
Message 4 of 20

We are experiencing the same situation. We do the following:

Unplug

Open the case

Disconnect the battery

Unscrew the battery from the device

Hold the power button for 30 seconds

Return everything back to normal

Close the case

Plug in the USB-C charger

The power begins to charge the unit again

I have not done the Pin reset. I will try that option next time to save time.

Some people feel this is a driver issue. But, I have not found any articles to confirm.

There has to be more to this situation. We purchased 50 of the Yoga L390 units and we have had to perform the exercise upon 80% of them. Sometimes twice!

Thank you for posting.

Mark

Highlighted
Schooltech
Serial Port
Views: 887
Message 5 of 20

One thing we have started noticing is that right when the issue starts, a message will come up on the screen either saying that there is an incorrect charger attached, or just that the computer has stopped charging. We are only using the chargers that have come with the computers though, no 3rd party chargers.
mdubay4870
What's DOS?
Views: 879
Message 6 of 20

Yes, we get a similar message but we connect through a Lenovo docking station. The message reads: "Laptop is not gaining sufficient power from source" or close to that. Once I see that, I know to shut it down and do the steps to success.
Schooltech
Serial Port
Views: 876
Message 7 of 20

We currently only have one person using a docking station with this particular model, but so far no issues. The rest of the laptops just use the A/C adapter supplied with the computer. We have probably had about 30 with the issue so far. Have yet to hear back from our Lenovo rep....
Schooltech
Serial Port
Views: 835
Message 8 of 20

Given the messages we are starting to see about incorrect chargers, I am starting to wonder if this is either a BIOS or power management driver issue.  I think we need to get this issue some more visilbility.  I have made some connections on reddit with people having the same issue, but no reconition from Lenovo yet.

SchoolSupport
Paper Tape
Views: 661
Message 9 of 20

My school board has the same issue with the Thinkpad L390's we just got in.  I have done the pin in the bottom trick to get them charging but I find that does not last very long when you are disconnecting and connecting to the dock often.  We have used the Lenovo System update, Lenovo Vantage, and Windows update to get all the drivers updated but none have resolved the issue.  Anyone have any new ideas to get this fixed long term?

Schooltech
Serial Port
Views: 656
Message 10 of 20

Have you tried the newest BIOS yet?  1.25?  I made a post on reddit about this issue a while back, and I got this reponse yesterday from someone with the same issue.

"I've talked to my rep. I'm getting two stories. The first is that there was a manufacturing defect in the early run of the model that requires a one-time reset to get the battery to work. I told them that I'd seen the issue recurring on machines.

After that a level 2 tech told me that the 1.25 bios fixes some charging issues. The change log doesn't look like it is for our specific issue. But for now I'll try it and see what happens. You should give it a try to and see if it happens again. If it does let me know. Any data point will help."

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors