cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fazor
Paper Tape
Views: 5,496
Message 1 of 9

L440 BIOS 1.86 setting a custom splash screen for UEFI does not work and Windows does not boot

Hello, I have a problem with setting a custom splashscreen when booting my Thinkpad L440 in UEFI mode. The BIOS I am using is version 1.86 and model L440 obtainable from here http://support.lenovo.com/no/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-l-series-laptops/thinkpad-l44... as per the requirements I have made the images 16 colours palette (4bpp), both images adhere to the standards logo1 legacy boot (640X480) and logo2 UEFI boot (1366X768) where I used .gif format. The problem is that only the legacy boot screen splash actually gets used, but the UEFI boot splash image (logo2) does not appear at all. Everything that happens is that you get a completely black boot screen with only the (press enter to interrupt boot... ) option. I have tried many different pictures, and different formats but arrived to the conclusion that it is broken.

Trying to boot Windows with broken custom splash screen, I get a BSOD with the error IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL  and can't boot into Windows 8.1. This makes me believe that something is not working properly, and not only does setting a custom splash screen on UEFI boot not actually show my bootscreen, it could have damaged some UEFI boot drivers so that Windows is unable to start properly. Maybe the tool is outdated and did not save the splash screen correctly? Upon re-flashing the BIOS using winuptp.exe it asked me if I wanted to keep my custom splash screen, and when I hit yes it simply crashed.

Luckily for me, going into BIOS and enabling legacy boot allows me to boot OS again and re-flash the working UEFI boot without a custom splash screen. Does anyone have any idea of how I can solve this issue? Downgrade to an older version of BIOS or maybe I have to contact Lenovo about my issue?

Fazor
Paper Tape
Views: 5,445
Message 2 of 9

Re: L440 BIOS 1.86 setting a custom splash screen for UEFI does not work and Windows does not boot

Upon thinking more about it, it might be the BIOS company also makes this flash tool and I am supposed to contact them instead of Lenovo, can anyone verify that this flash tool is by a 3rd party company and not something Lenovo is responsible for? I seem to recall winflash also existed when updating Acer BIOS

Former Employee
Views: 5,371
Message 3 of 9

Re: L440 BIOS 1.86 setting a custom splash screen for UEFI does not work and Windows does not boot

Fazor,

Think Engineering confirmed support on L440 ThinkPads for .jpg &.gif files set as the UEFI boot logo. However, the file size must be less than 30kb.

What is the file size of the image you are trying to set as the custom splashscreen?

Thank you,

Fazor
Paper Tape
Views: 5,330
Message 4 of 9

Hello,

First of all sorry for my late reply, but I've been busy with other things and the site was down on maintenance when I went to reply.

What I attempted to set was a logo2, in .gif format, 1366x768 wide, 4KB size and with 16 colours palette.
The software (winuptp.exe) accepts the image, but after it's flashed I get a black screen upon boot instead of my custom splash screen or the Lenovo logo. Additionally I get a BSOD using this BIOS, and had to flash the normal one without a custom iamge. Thankfully I could boot Windows by switching to legacy boot which I also suceeded in setting a custom image on.

The sample image has been attached as there is always a possibility I did something wrong, such as misinterpret LOGO2.* --> LESS THAN 1366X768 for meaning that the image has to be below 1366x768, as in 1365x767? but that resolution doesn't add up.

LenAIOUser
Token Ring
Views: 5,310
Message 5 of 9

Betreff: L440 BIOS 1.86 setting a custom splash screen for UEFI does not work and Windows does not b

Hello Amy,

sorry for crashing into the discussion, but it's a great opportunity for asking my question:

Would it be possibble to change the boot screen logo on the B40-30 AIO also? I couldn't find a BIOS update software for this model. Planning a clean Win installation reports say, that the Lenovo boot logo will be gone after that and I'ld like to have it back. On the other hand I don't understand this, cause a clean install won't change things in BIOS, will it?

Thanks in advance.

Views: 5,302
Message 6 of 9

Betreff: L440 BIOS 1.86 setting a custom splash screen for UEFI does not work and Windows does not b

While I'm not Amy, I'd still reply since you are crashing my topic. You can take no BIOS update as something good, as this means the BIOS is stable. Whatever you do with your OS, it will not affect the BIOS itself. The image will still stay there at boot, but what could be changed is the Lenovo branded version of Windows which your computer came with will no longer be there, the Lenovo watermark in your system properties screen and so on. But on boot the Lenovo logo will still be displayed unless you do like I am tryinng to do here, set a custom logo.

LenAIOUser
Token Ring
Views: 5,293
Message 7 of 9

Hi Fazor,

thanks so much for your kind reply, really nice.

Well, I was expecting Amy to answer this, cause she replied to your post. Anyway, great that you took action to help out Smiley Happy

Your answer is exactly what I was thinking about clean OS installations and BIOS changes. There are no such ones (with the exeption of product keys sometimes). Sure the OEM configurations are gone and that's why it's a clean installation. Only I got confused cause there are dozens of reports, that the Lenovo logo was gone from boot screen after clean installations and people were tying to get it back. So I still wonder how this came.

Back to your problem. Fazor, do you have an AMI BIOS? If so, there's maybe an alternative for changing the logo. Have a look at your SWTOOLS folder and go to your last BIOS update installation files (if you have updated BIOS once at all). There should be an AMI update app with an interface, where you also have options to change the logos. The only thing is, that you have to flash your BIOS again with this method. Maybe this could work better to change your UEFI boot logo.

Good luck Smiley Happy

Views: 4,945
Message 8 of 9

Fazor,

My apologies for the delay in response. Think Engineering found that the picture you provided worked with some BIOS but not others on several ThinkPad models, leading them to conclude it is an issue with the picture itself. With the BIOS that the picture did work with, while the logo loaded as expected, the image itself was blurry. The engineers were able to create new pictures with the same file size and dimensions using the Windows paint tool and these new pictures worked with all BIOS tested.

The next step would be to create the photo from scratch. I would suggest making it under 30KB but not much smaller than that, and ensuring the file is named “logo”.

I look forward to your feedback.

Thank you,

Former Employee
Views: 4,777
Message 9 of 9

One additional note – Think Engineering provided the image you supplied to the BIOS vendor. Per the vendor’s findings, the image has a BitCount of 1. Unfortunately, the kernel code for ThinkPad BIOS only supports a BitCount of 8.

Thank you,

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors