Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matimillo10
Punch Card
Views: 769
Message 1 of 6

L440 put a caddy with a new ssd

Hi all, I buy a L440 and I noticed that it hasn't got cd drive and I want to put in this place a caddy with an other SSD. I want to know if it is possible and if it is complicated to remove the protector.

stdoubleu
Paper Tape
Views: 763
Message 2 of 6

Re: L440 put a caddy with a new ssd

Have a look at the Hardware Maintenance Manual to get an idea how to open things.

Furthermore you might consider installing an m2 ssd .

matimillo10
Punch Card
Views: 759
Message 3 of 6

Yes a M2 sata it is a possibility but where I live We haven't got much variety of SSD and I don't know if I can get it a correct SSD. I prefer a normal ssd 

stdoubleu
Paper Tape
Views: 756
Message 4 of 6

Yes, I understand, but wanted to mention it Smiley Happy

Anyway, typically Thinkpads are easy to open and quite modular. Look at page 66 of previously posted pdf and you might already get all the information you need.

matimillo10
Punch Card
Views: 746
Message 5 of 6

I check the manual and I understand that it is the same if we have cd drive or not, que have to remove the service cover and unscrewing a single screw, we haven't got only a cover un cd drive place, we have a dummy cd drive.

mattheww50
Fanfold Paper
Views: 694
Message 6 of 6

I think using the M.2 slot is a much better solution than putting an SSD in CD slot. M.2 in the 42mm form factor (the only one that will fit) is now available with up to 512gb storage. I run with a  Transcend TS256GMTS400 256gb  device in the M.2 slot as my O/S HDD, leaving the original 512gb drive for things that don't need the ultra fast access the SSD provides.. The only rub is that if you need Cellular phone network connectivity, the M.2 slot is already in use and there is only 1 slot. The obvious advantage is that leaves the space for the CD/DVD drive still open. You can buy a 'thin' CD/DVD drive on ebay and install it (the installation is trivial, I upgraded mine to BlueRay capable unit). These don't weight much, and if you don't use it, it doesn't consume battery power.

You can buy the HDD carrier that fits into the CD space on ebay quite readily. Just search for L440 HDD caddy.  Opening up the L440 to remove the empty carrier is actually pretty straighforward. After you remove the bottom cover, it is a single screw.  The Hardware maintenance manual actually covers this in some detail.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors