Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jayjr1105
Paper Tape
Views: 299
Message 1 of 5

L460 Sluggish mouse / Windows explorer

Brand new L460. Company assigned however I'm a local admin on the device.

Current issues

• Mouse stutters for about 20 seconds when resuming from sleep.
  • Windows Explorer windows will sometimes take 30 seconds to display folder contents.

Model is i5, 8GB RAM, SSD, Pro Dock.

Does the single channel RAM hold it back?

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 285
Message 2 of 5

Re: L460 Sluggish mouse / Windows explorer

You do not mention what OS you are running, but it sounds like hybrid sleep, or high CPU, disk or memory usage would likely suspects.   Single channel RAM is not going to account for such sluggishness, but of course more RAM is always better if you are running a lot of applications.

• Have you checked to see if hybrid sleep is enabled?   It is normally not enabled on laptops, but it may have been enabled inadvertently, so it is worth a check.   If enabled, it may cause HD activity upon resuming that could be causing your problems

Note: Hybrid sleep is not a good idea on laptops since it keeps the HD active for a while when you close the lid etc., and if moving the laptop around, could cause disk damage. 

Disable Hybrid Sleep

• Control Panel >> Power Options >> Select Power Plan  in use >> Change plan settings >> Change advanced power settings >> Open Sleep setting >> Toggle Allow Hybrid Sleep to OFF

Other things to look at:

• Can you see high CPU, disk or RAM activity from any applications in task manager during the time it is slow.  
    • Try leaving Task Manager open when testing sleep mode?
  • Do you have the latest driver updates from Lenovo installed?
    • I would avoid BIOS updates except as last resort, and only apply after a full backup/system image.   When they go bad, they can leave your system bricked.
  • Have you tried disabling startup items not needed all the time?
  • What applications are running when putting the system to sleep?

Good Luck

jayjr1105
Paper Tape
Views: 279
Message 3 of 5

OS is Win 10 Pro X64

Hybrid sleep doesn't even exist in my settings.  Probably because I disabled Hibernate from cmd (powercfg -h off)

Here is my task manager at work with a ton of things running right now...

Screenshot_137.png

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 275
Message 4 of 5

It does not appear to be under much load right now, but it might look quite different when resuming from sleep?

Do  you run a lot of network based applications that must resume their network connections upon coming out of sleep?   

jayjr1105
Paper Tape
Views: 255
Message 5 of 5

I resolved the issue with explorer hanging.  It was a network shortcut that was no longer in use.  Mouse stutter/lag at times still exists.  I've also started to notice it with typing as well now.  Very annoying.

Actively monitoring task manager, no resource is going over 50% usage.  It makes no sense.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors