Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Message 1 of 5 (545 Views)

L460 Updating BIOS from 1.17 to 1.18 fails

Hi,

i have a new Thinkpad L460 since a week and saw there is a BIOS update available (1.18).

Currently i have version 1.17. Since i am using Linux and have no optical drive i downloaded the

"BIOS bootable update CD" (no idea why it says for Windows 10, after all its just a CD-ISO image) and converted it to an image that i can copy to an USB flash stick. So far so good.

The first thing i noticed was it does not boot from the USB flash stick unless i disable secure boot. With secure boot on it returns right to the list of bootable devices you get by pressing F12.

With secure boot off i was able to get to the BIOS update utility. I pressed "2" to update the BIOS and after a lot of Y's and Enter's it started the flashing. Then it showed “Secure Flash Authentication failed”.

I stumbled upon this -> https://support.lenovo.com/de/en/documents/ht103667

and disabled ”Secure RollBack Prevention”. But that did not do anything. Still “Secure Flash Authentication failed”.

So for now i am not able to update the BIOS.

Paper Tape
Message 2 of 5 (293 Views)

Re: L460 Updating BIOS from 1.17 to 1.18 fails

Today i tried to upgrade the BIOS to version 1.28 and still get the same error.

I can't believe i am the only one having this problem. Using USB sticks to upgrade should be the standard as newer laptops don't have CD devices any more and not everyone uses Windows with their Thinkpads.

Also i can't be forced to use Windows to upgrade the BIOS (which i did last time to upgrade to 1.18)

Community Moderator
Message 3 of 5 (287 Views)

Hi,

ThinkPad BIOS update exe files include tools to make a bootable flash drive BIOS updater these days.  You still need a Windows PC or virtual machine to run the extraction and tools, but the result _may_ work better than what you're doing now.

I've got a KB written, but it isn't published yet.  The short version: run the windows .exe, note where it's going to extract the files, disable the final phase where it would try to install the BIOS on the PC where you're doing the above, browse to the file location and read the instructions.

I've checked the L460 download just now and it seems to include the tools.  Example below - not specific to your laptop or BIOS.

Z.

BIOS Extraction Target.PNG

BIOS Extraction Disable Install.PNG

BIOS Extraction README.PNG

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

Highlighted
Paper Tape
Message 4 of 5 (286 Views)

Ok. I got it working.

After a long google session i found this reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/5dfxgp/l460_cant_update_bios_secure_flash_authentication/

The solution is you have to enable UEFI Flashing by End-User (so that it doesn't ask for password) AND set Secure RollBack Prevention to disabled.

Maybe you could update your support ticket with this information. Would have been very helpful for me. Nobody ever said something about the UEFI Flashing by End-User option.

Community Moderator
Message 5 of 5 (282 Views)

[ Edited ]

OlliC wrote:

Maybe you could update your support ticket with this information. Would have been very helpful for me. Nobody ever said something about the UEFI Flashing by End-User option.

I'd be curious to know if the Flashing by End-User option is necessary when using the CD, Windows exe, or the tools I described.  It may be that it only happens when using your approach.  I've never run into it but so far have only updated from within Windows.

It may not be documented because it's usually not necessary. Just asing, not saying...

[edit] And glad you got it working Smiley Happy  Thanks for reporting back, may well help others.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

Top kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count