Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Administrator
Views: 2,011
Message 61 of 79

Re: L520 - random sleep and constant fan

All,

Please do work with NINE on this - despite the videos which may be helpful, we really will need a customer sample system that is running our preload, has the latest versions of Power Manager and BIOS installed, and which exhibits constantly running fan.

I notice most of those reporting this are in Europe and we can work with you there.  It may be a shorter path on the investigation, if we can find a volunteer in the US who would be willing to send in their system for a few days.

Please let NINE or myself know if you would be willing to send in your system.

Mark

Pimmm
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,007
Message 62 of 79

I'm also in Europe and also experiencing the constant fan noise problem with my L520 (Win 7 pro 64 bit, i5-2430M, 4GB mem, 500GB HDD, 1600x900). I was thinking of sending it in for repair before i saw this topic here.

I recorded the noise:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4001031/VID_20120619_181927.3gp 

Adjusting the sliding bar in the Powermanagemant app makes any difference. The noise is much less (but still more noise than ever experienced with my former thinkpads or notebooks) when i slide the slider to Low Speed. When i set the slider back to Full Speed the noise is coming back, but not instantly. It takes 2 minutes or so. 

power.png

Never ever had an Lenovo notebook producing so much noise as this one. My dad's T520 was also very noisy at the beginning but not constantly and after a BIOS update it was fixed. My former T41 and T60 never had any noise or fan problems at all. 

Will try the new BIOS in a few days. I'm currently working on my last university courses before the summerbreak, and i need my Thinkpad for that, so i'm a bit afraid something goes wrong while updating the BIOS. 

ibmthink
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,959
Message 63 of 79

@mark_lenovo,

I would do this, but I need my machine. I couldn´t give it away for some weeks. I think thats the problem of many people here...

Pimmm
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,871
Message 64 of 79

Can't Lenovo provide us a solution like this little chip? 
http://tpfc.mywo.org/index.php?action=install 
Looks like a good solution for the constant fan noise problem, but i don't like soldering..... 

TheGh0st
Paper Tape
Views: 1,851
Message 65 of 79

As for Bios 1.17 I still suffer under heating issues running Diablo 3 in high settings. Instead of rebooting like before 1.17 my laptop just shuts down since 1.17. In the next week I will run some benchmarks if the problem occures there too. If thats the case, I will give it into customer support. I am more and more unhappy with my L520. Smiley Sad

Edit: Fyi, my fans are cleaned.

ibmthink
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,846
Message 66 of 79

I can´t confirm this. I play Diablo 3 too (but in Middle  settings) wiht my L520 attached to a mini-dock and since 1.17 I have no more problems with heat shutdowns.

Edit: Ok, I have to make a turnaround. The problem with the shut-down at high temperature is not solved with 1.17! 

TheGh0st
Paper Tape
Views: 1,787
Message 67 of 79

It seems to me that the random shutdowns due to possible heating problems only result after wakeup from standby.

Can anyone confirm this observation ?

fabianb
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,576
Message 68 of 79

Is there any update on the constant fan issue yet? It is really frustating... Did the same problem occur yet with LX30?

ibmthink
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,554
Message 69 of 79

No, the Lx30 seems to be very quit (first user reviews say that).

Highlighted
Mathestro
Paper Tape
Views: 1,311
Message 70 of 79

Hi,

I have the same problem after update with lenovo update tools. It was suggested make an update to bios and I confirmed.

Now the system go to hibernate and auto shutdown randomly (seems to occur when detect 1 hour battery life, but I can´t confirm), also the fan run constantly.

New bios version is 1.19, last firmware (factory suppose) was 1.11 and no problems detected before the update.

I have tried to restore bios version 1.11 with no results.

I have reinstaled S.O with lenovo rescue disk with no results. Already I´m using TPFcontrol, it works fine but auto sleep or auto shutdown are triggered random.

Is a problem of bios, can i fix locally or need to contact support?

I send you my contact details.

• Machine Family: Portatil Lenovo Thinkpad 
• Machine Type Model: Lenovo L420
• Machine Serial Number: LR-9F9YN

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors