Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pausmann
Paper Tape
Views: 1,756
Message 1 of 6

L540 1802 Unauthorized network card

Hi all :-)

I know this topic has been around a lot, but until now, I have not found a solution which I'm happy with, I hope anybody can help me!

I bought a L540 some time ago and my version had not the AC wireless adapter included, but I thought "ok, maybe I will just get that a bit later, Lenovo is pretty open to people who would like to switch stuff". So yesterday I bought the "Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260" (the one who was only available in another model) and replaced it with my current one.

Startup and - "unauthorized network card".

I started googling, apparently there is some kind of whitelist in the BIOS - I did not buy an Apple device for exactly this reason (also there are other reasons, but mainly this).

So how can I solve this? Is there a foolproof procedure which I can apply so my new wireless card can work? I have seen some tutorials, but they are not exactly made for my Laptop.

If there is no procedure, where can I buy a genuine adapter? The Lenovo store won't offer me any wireless cards.

Oh and does that mean that I can't replace ANYTHING with a not genuine part? In case I would like to switch my HDD or RAM?

I hope you can help! If you need more information, just let me know.

Greetings from Germany,

Pausmann

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,726
Message 2 of 6

Re: L540 1802 Unauthorized network card

Hello and welcome,

There's no procedure for defeating the whitelist.

The whitelisted cards are shown in the system service parts document:

https://download.lenovo.com/parts/ThinkPad/l540_fru_bom_20140807.pdf

There appears to be at least one AC card in the list.  Please keep in mind that a card model must be in the whitelist AND have a Lenovo FRU number.  A "vanilla" Intel 7260AC won't pass, but a 7260AC FRU 04X6007 should.

The Google indicates that there  are some aftermarket sources for the 04X6007.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

pausmann
Paper Tape
Views: 1,695
Message 3 of 6

Hi Zoltan,

Thank you for your fast reply!

And thank you for the list, I can work with it!

What about the SSDs on this whitelist? Especially in this area a lot has happened in the last years but I still have to use the "old" SSDs mentioned in that list?

I saw that there is a possiblity to update the BIOS for my L540. Will this update/expand also the whitelist?

Thanks and kind regards

Pausmann

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,687
Message 4 of 6

To be clear, that isn't a whitelist.  That's a bill of materials - what may have been shipped with that model.

The radio cards - WWAN and WLAN - in a BOM are whitelisted, but AFAIK the other components are not.

You should check with SSD manufacturers and here on the forum (and elsewhere) re specific SSD compatibility.  In theory they should all be compatible if the size, connector, and interface match, but sometimes there are problems with specific laptop/SSD combinations.

You could check the new BIOS readme.  Any whitelist additions may be mentioned - or you can just try it.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

lusername
Paper Tape
Views: 1,204
Message 5 of 6

quote:

"The radio cards - WWAN and WLAN - in a BOM are whitelisted, but AFAIK the other components are not."

It's only a matter of time until Lenovo devices refuse to boot due to unauthorized RAM, disk, USB and display devices.

This whitelist behavior belongs on the scrap heap.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,194
Message 6 of 6

lusername wrote:

> It's only a matter of time until Lenovo devices refuse to boot due to unauthorized RAM, disk, USB and display devices.

This is just your fantasy.

p.s. Please, do not repeate the same blame in every (necro) thread white list related you've found in the forum.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors