cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jcarey5
Paper Tape
Views: 5,624
Message 1 of 6

L540: No audio from 3.5mm headphone output.

Having a problem tonight with the audio for my L540. Worked fine yesterday.

Built in speakers (speaker/hp) work normally. However when trying to use headphones, ear buds, etc in the 3.5mm headphone/mic jack on the side, no sound is played through the headset. The computer/driver recognizes that there is a device plugged into the jack (displays RealtekHD Audio 2nd Output in sound/volume button on the taskbar) however still no sound. 

I've checked everywhere I can think (volume mixer, device properties, driver properties, apps)  and it isn't muted anywhere. In the properties, it say the device is enabled, is working, however when you "test " sound, nothing plays. While the built in speakers are selected, the "test" sound works. 

I have updated the driver, rolled it back, unistalled and reinstalled the software (from lenovo website) and the problem persists. 

Thinking it is a power or physical issue with the port, I tested the microphone feature in the same port. The microphone works, picks up sound and records. So there is power to and from the port. That has left me scratching my head and searching for any solutions. I have gone into all of the programs, apps and games i used and checked the audio settings, nothing is muted or off. 

Has anyone experienced this issue? Better yet has anyone fixed or have any ideas how to resolve? My intuition tells me there is somewhere im not looking that holds the answer.

Thanks in advance guys!

Guru
Views: 5,589
Message 2 of 6

Re: L540: No audio from 3.5mm headphone output.

1. Open the Control Panel and look for Realtek HD Audio's control panel.
2. At the right top of the window you should see one or more plugs. Then plug in and unplug your headphones, see if the headphones are detected there.

Warm regards,
Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider - Windows Insider MVP

Personal website: ThinkScopes

Jcarey5
Paper Tape
Views: 5,583
Message 3 of 6

Hi Jonas,

Found the Realtek audio manager in the control panel. Indeed it was a app/manager I missed.

I open up the manager and it was exactly as you stated. With no headphones, only the built in mic and speakers show up. Once I plug in headphones or headset w/ mic it does detect both, and automatically selects both, with just headphones, it also detects just the headphones.

Before i did anything else, for the heck of it I clicked on the blue play test button under stero configuration and wouldnt you know sound came from the headphones! I will admit i try want to again wipe the driver clean off and reinstalled in last night before bed changed settings then shut down for the night without a test. Once i saw your response i started it up immediately to try. 

So whether entering the Realtek Audio did it or the reinstall again it works!

Thanks for the information/reply.

Guru
Views: 5,571
Message 4 of 6

Ok good to hear. I will mark your last post as the solution. If you have more problems make sure to come back ;-).

Something tells me it was just a configuration problem or a wrong setting somewhere.

Warm regards,
Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider - Windows Insider MVP

Personal website: ThinkScopes

DiBlass
Paper Tape
Views: 5,261
Message 5 of 6

Hi Jonas,

When I try to listen to audio off my browser such as from YouTube or Windows media player no audio comes out…all that can be heard is a light white noise type of sound.

However….if I close and re-open the browser’s window a few times and try again to listen to a YouTube video then eventually after a many tries, I am able to have audio via my headphones.

I went into the Realtek audio manager and I plugged my headphones in and It DID detect my headphones. I clicked on the blue play test button under stereo configuration and sound DID come out from headphones.

It’s really frustrating as my laptop is quite new and is given good care.

Thanks!
hosseinsaraei
What's DOS?
Views: 4,121
Message 6 of 6

Hello.

I have ideapad 300 - n.

I installed conexnat smart audio hd driver and restarted my device , speakers and 3.5 mm jack port worked correctly before next time that I turned on my labtop. the speakers and also the 3.5mm jack port didn't work at all. I had to unistall the driver and reinstall it to work speakers and jack correctly again. what I suppose to do to solve this problem? I will be gratefull if you answer my question guys..

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors