Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UsernameAlex
Paper Tape
Views: 95
Message 1 of 1

L540 Overclocking/eGPU

Short story, bought a L540 and will be running with 16GB ram, i7-4712MQ. Not its primary use but fancy running a few low spec older games. Is there a way I can scrape a few extra HP out of the GPU?

Q1 Noticed someone on here mentioned running Intel XTU to overclock/force turbo on the CPU for certain applications(games). I suspect I would need the higher extreme CPUs for that but wondering if anyone knows/has tried and if the CPU/GPU speeds can be influenced independently?

Q2 Obviously laptop has embedded GPU only. Does anyone know how many lanes are exposed via the M.2 or express card slot?

TLDR story, fantastic forum guys! I set out to replace a 12 year old Mac that was just about running windows and Firefox with something rubbish and a friend recommended Lenovo’s for bargain prices and upgradability. In the end it was so cheap I got carried away. Bought a low end L540 in amazing condition, great battery but a pressure marked screen.

£90 - Lenovo L540 i3-4000M 128GB SSD 4GB RAM (Sell the basic SSD, CPU, Ram and screen for beer tokens)

£95 - i7-4712MQ

£38 - Kingston 2 X 8Gb (16 Gb) DDR3

£5 - AC7260 wifi

£34 - AUO FHD IPS screen

£25 - Transcend 120GB SATA III 6Gb/s MTS420S 42mm M.2 SSD420S

Bought the M.2 thinking it would be fast after my brother mentioned running one in his desktop but apparently it’s just a SATA port the laptop won’t support built into the interface. Drive seems fast enough and its made the 2.5” slot free for a storage device while keeping the Optical drive in place happy days.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors