Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PXAbstraction
Serial Port
Views: 4,590
Message 1 of 2

L540 Webcam Suddenly Went Black & White

Hey all. So I've run into yet another problem with my new L540. I was using the webcam for something today and it was working fine. Then suddenly, after stopping recording and starting it again, the camera is only displaying in black & white now. I've tried multiple webcam applications and checked the settings but there is no black & white only mode. I was running the latest webcam driver available from the support site but I uninstalled it and reinstalled just to be sure and that hasn't helped. A cursory glance is finding a lot of people with this webcam (which appears to be made by Vimicro) having the same problem and not finding a solution.

This is the third major issue I'm having with this unit, only one of which has been sorted so far. I paid over $1,500 for this laptop and I'm having issues with it I'd more commonly experience in a $399 model from Acer. Anyone know a quick solution to this before I file a case with Lenovo? I'm approaching asking for a refund if this kind of stuff continues. Thanks!

PXAbstraction
Serial Port
Views: 4,579
Message 2 of 2

Re: L540 Webcam Suddenly Went Black & White

So I got fed up with trying to solve this on my own and called Lenovo Support. The very nice gentleman and I figured out the issue and I'm stunned by it. If the light in the room is too low (and by too low, I mean anything less than either having the sun or a bright halogen light at your back), the camera automatically reverts into some kind of "night mode" where it goes to black and white and boosts the contrast. If I sit in front of my desk, turn my halogen lamp on and point it at the webcam, the image goes back to colour. If I turn the light off or even turn it so it doesn't face the laptop, it goes black and white again. All this while a bright overhead light is also on. There is no way to toggle this automatic switch to black and white. The Vimicro webcam in this machine is garbage and I'm frankly shocked a company with the quality reputation of Lenovo would use such a shoddy product in the ThinkPad line. I'll be contacting Lenovo to try to get the cost of the camera upgrade refunded. I love this laptop otherwise but this webcam is absolutely useless when it works this way. Vimicro should be ashamed for selling it without a toggle for that and Lenovo should be using something better. Not pleased.

Top Kudoed Authors