Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
wa_len
Paper Tape
Message 1 of 10

L560 random fan noise spikes

I have purchased three L560 Thinkpads and all three exhibit this behaviour, making me think this isn't a hardware problem.

The laptops are dead quiet but every 5 or so minutes the fan ramps to maximum up for a couple of seconds, it is very irritating, I'd prefer a constant hum instead of a random loud spike in sound.

As I said all three laptops are doing this, I have tried fresh installs of Win 7 Ent 64 bit and Win 10 Pro 64 bit and both OS's have these fan spikes. I've played around with the power settings but I'm unable to remove the fan noise.

I have fully updated the BIOS and drivers to no avail.

Netsky
What's DOS?
Message 2 of 10

Re: L560 random fan noise spikes

I got my L560 a few days ago and I have the exact same behaviour. Even if I leave the machine running on idle with no active programs this happens.

I updated to the newest BIOS through System Update but there has been no change.

davs1
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 10

We just switch from DELL to Lenovo. The describe fan noise is a growing issue on many of the L560 & X260 we purchase. Troubleshooting from my part has been very limit.

davs1
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 10

The describe fan noise is a growing issue on many of the L560 & X260 we purchase. Troubleshooting from my part has been very limit.

chivitli
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 10

Same here, new L560 laptop, and in idle state it spins fan to maximum for a couple of seconds every few minutes, it's quite irritating. The latest BIOS/UEFI is installed etc

wa_len
Paper Tape
Message 6 of 10

I've seen there are some updated drivers for L560, namely BIOS, hotkeys, lenovo active protection, HD graphics, power manager and bluetooth.

Has anyone updated all their drivers and can confirm if the fan spike noise is still present?

digger_
Paper Tape
Message 7 of 10

After receiving my new L560, along with the spikes, I updated every driver and the Active Protection software and it's still doing it. 

It's only for about a half-second, but it's really annoying when there's no other noise to drown it out. 

digger_
Paper Tape
Message 8 of 10

I put a temp monitor on this and it seems like the spikes are intended behavior.

Every time one of the CPUs goes above 50 C, the fan spins up for a half-second. Even if the temp remains over 50 C after the spin-up, it won't spin back up for a short period of time, 1-2 minutes possibly.

I'm sure that this is some type of reliability or power-saving feature, but it's really annoying. Lenovo should give people the option to switch away from this behavior if they want to.

wa_len
Paper Tape
Message 9 of 10

seems like a bug to me, like instead of running the fan at 5% constantly it's kicking in at 100% for half a second, that couldn't do too much to cool the CPU down in such a small amount of time. Hopefully they amend the fans behaviour in a BIOS update soon.

Toomas1
What's DOS?
Message 10 of 10

BIOS version 1.24 (released in February 2017) finally resolves this issue.

http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-l-series-laptops/thinkpad-l...

From the changes list:

(Fix) Fixed an issue where CPU Fan might rotate in high speed for 1 second even system was in low loading condition.

I have installed the update and can confirm that the system is now very quiet indeed, without any annoying spikes in fan speed.

Top Kudoed Authors