Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sirakoz
Paper Tape
Views: 209
Message 1 of 3

L580 - Adding a second HDD

Hi,

I am thinking of ordering an L580 with a 256GB SSD, and I was wondering if it's possible to add a second HDD to increase storage space.

From the different resources I found online and the platform specifications it might be possible to add an M2 SSD in the WWAN as a second storage device. Is that correct? Does it involve buying any adapters or similar? Is it a slot for an M2.2280 or M2.2242 SSD?

Thank you

jackerbes
Fanfold Paper
Views: 104
Message 2 of 3

Re: L580 - Adding a second HDD

One option might be to use a second HDD caddy that take the place of the DVD drive.   That is a SATA drive in most cases and the hard drive is mounted in the caddy and then can be see on the computer.  

I have such a caddy but have not used it yet... 

Here is one of the caddys on eBay:  https://tinyurl.com/ycp9m4zy

Jack

(ThinkPad T520, and SL510)

Highlighted
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 94
Message 3 of 3

Re: L580 - Adding a second HDD

There isn't ODD bay in L580. The only way to add the 2nd drive is to occupy combo wwan/ssd slot by m.2 PCIe NVMe SSD, type 2242. Additional adapter for this slot isn't needed.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors