Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sirakoz
Paper Tape
Views: 1,136
Message 1 of 3

L580 - Adding a second HDD

Hi,

I am thinking of ordering an L580 with a 256GB SSD, and I was wondering if it's possible to add a second HDD to increase storage space.

From the different resources I found online and the platform specifications it might be possible to add an M2 SSD in the WWAN as a second storage device. Is that correct? Does it involve buying any adapters or similar? Is it a slot for an M2.2280 or M2.2242 SSD?

Thank you

jackerbes
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,031
Message 2 of 3

Re: L580 - Adding a second HDD

One option might be to use a second HDD caddy that take the place of the DVD drive.   That is a SATA drive in most cases and the hard drive is mounted in the caddy and then can be see on the computer.  

I have such a caddy but have not used it yet... 

Here is one of the caddys on eBay:  https://tinyurl.com/ycp9m4zy

Jack

(ThinkPad T520, and SL510)

Highlighted
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,021
Message 3 of 3

Re: L580 - Adding a second HDD

There isn't ODD bay in L580. The only way to add the 2nd drive is to occupy combo wwan/ssd slot by m.2 PCIe NVMe SSD, type 2242. Additional adapter for this slot isn't needed.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors