Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WJR1
Blue Screen Again
Views: 208
Message 1 of 7

L580 battery drain

Hey everyone, 

I just received my new Thinkpad L580 about 2 days ago, Windows 10 64-bit,  i7 8th Gen, 8gb RAM, 1TB HDD, 65W charger on a 45W battery and my battery life drains really fast under normal use. The advertised number of hours were about 12 hours and although of course, I'm not expecting this high, my battery life doesn't even last 6 hours on a normal use (browsing, email and Word). 

On a fresh boot, the battery will say 6hrs30 min for the first 5min, and then once I start using even a normal app like Edge or Word, the battery life drops to 3hrs30min and this is on full charge.

All I know is, when I received the laptop 2 days ago, the first thing when I turned it on, the battery would say 12hrs (then drop down to 8hrs) and then I did all the Windows 10 updates and then now my battery life starts at 6hrs30 for 100% charge. 

Help anyone?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 197
Message 2 of 7

Re: L580 battery drain

First, Edge (or any browser) is not like word.  Browsers are notorious for using CPU cycles and memory, therefore power, when you aren't doing anything.  All the moving graphics and stuff are doing things for every open tab, whether or not they have the focus.  Lowering the brightness level and turning off unused radios will also help.                                                        

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
WJR1
Blue Screen Again
Views: 192
Message 3 of 7

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your reply. You are right in that browsers consume power, however would it be normal to have the battery life drop by 50% (from 6hrs to 3hrs even with just opening Edge (without browsing) or simply opening Word? Also considering the laptop is new and was advertised at 12hrs battery life, is it normal that at 100% charge, without using any app, the full charge is about 6.5 to 7 h?

Thanks for your help

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 186
Message 4 of 7

Have you tried leaving Task Manager open to see if a process is burning CPU cycles and battery?  Windows gets up to all kinds of stuff in the background - especially after updates - that can consume power.  If so, it may settle down in a day or two.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

WJR1
Blue Screen Again
Views: 184
Message 5 of 7

Hi Z,

So on startup the most power consuming processes are: system, superfetch, antivirus and Lenovo im im control plugin. Note: usually for the first 5min on boot, disk is always at 100% (Im assuming this is normal?). Eventually it dies down to 2 to 20%, but Lenovo im controller always pops up every now and then with about 30% usage or more.

I'll leave it off for a couple of days and see if there are any improvement. Thanks for the suggestion!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 180
Message 6 of 7

I'd leave it ON for a couple of days...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 168
Message 7 of 7

Battery life is not my area of expertise.  Maybe someone can give more info, but I would expect edge to have more of an impact than word

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors