Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ddevilish
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,939
Message 1 of 19

Lenovo L440 - problem with HDD caddy

Hi,

I have replaced CD-ROM by HDD Caddy with SSD (Samsung 850 EVO 250GB) in my Lenovo ThinkPad L440 (20ASS3GT0) as a second storage device (not one with the OS). When I'm trying to start the system, I'm getting a message "Configuration changes - restart the system." and the system reboots again and again. What is more, I can't access the BIOS any more - pressing F1 does not work. Updating to the newest version of BIOS (1.85) does not help. After removing HDD Caddy everything works fine. I have tried some of the configurations below:

• Removed the battery, pressed the power button for 10-15 sec. and rebooted with AC Adapter connected - still got message "Configuration changes - restart the system."

• Removed HDD from standard SATA port and connected it using HDD Caddy - cannot boot into the system. There is no message "Configuration changes...", HDD is detected but it is not on the list with bootable devices (there is only one option to boot over the LAN).
  • HDD Caddy connected with no storage device - boot into the system with no problem.

The problem is, that I need two storage devices - one for the OS and second one (using HDD caddy) for another data. Could anyone help me to solve that issue?

Guru
Views: 2,877
Message 2 of 19

Re: Lenovo L440 - problem with HDD caddy

Did you enable any security settings in the BIOS that could detect tampering or anything else?

Warm regards,
Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider - Windows Insider MVP

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

ddevilish
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,872
Message 3 of 19

Nope. But I am using TrueCrypt to encrypt the whole HDD (the one connected throught standard SATA port). Should I decrypt the whole system drive before connecting the additional storage device ?

ddevilish
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,841
Message 4 of 19

I have decrypted the whole HDD and removed TrueCrypt completely but unfortunately it did not help. Anyone can help me with that problem ?

Spe666
What's DOS?
Views: 2,803
Message 5 of 19

Same issue here ... Please help us Smiley Sad

ddevilish
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,769
Message 6 of 19

Anyone can help ?

menachem
Paper Tape
Views: 2,716
Message 7 of 19

I have the same issue on my Thinkpad-L540. It was working fine until, about 2 weeks ago, I updated the BIOS/UEFI Firmware to Version 1.86 (released 6/23/2016).

When I updated the BIOS/UEFI firmware and rebooted the system, I got an error saying "Configuration changes - restart the system."

It didn't boot until I removed the caddy with the second hard drive. However, I moved my User folder over to the second hard drive (I'm running Windows 10), so my system isn't working properly. [As a workaround, I've been hotplugging the caddy before logging into Windows, but this does not seem like a great idea].

I'm not exactly sure which version of the BIOS/UEFI I had, but I remember that it was from 2014. I tried downgrading to 1.81, but that didn't make a difference.

----

Did you recently update your BIOS/UEFI firmware?

ddevilish
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,707
Message 8 of 19

Yes, I have updated firmware to 1.86 recently
menachem
Paper Tape
Views: 2,693
Message 9 of 19

Do you remember what version you were running before the update? If you revert to that version, does it start working again?

I plan on downgrading to earlier versions when I have the chance to see if that solves the problem. (As mentioned earlier, downgrading to 1.81 didn't solve the problem, so I'll try to go further back)

ddevilish
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,682
Message 10 of 19

It was 1.85, but I don't remember which version I had earlier. Probably the newest one at the time of buying that notebook (11-2015), so it could be 1.82 or 1.81

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors