Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exe66
Paper Tape
Views: 420
Message 1 of 5

Lenovo L480 above the Esc button, left of the hinge, a hairline crack

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad L480. Recently, I noticed that above the Esc button, left of the hinge, a hairline crack has formed. I was very careful with the device and did not let it fall or something ... Are there people who have the same problem or know where it comes from?

best regards

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 399
Message 2 of 5

Re: Lenovo L480 above the Esc button, left of the hinge, a hairline crack

I cannot comment on the experience of others, but assuming that is out of warranty, I would remove the base cover and take a look at the area around that hinge before it gets any worse, because the hinge mounts in the area where you describe the crack. 

The hinge itself is mounted to the Upper Palmrest KB Bezel Cover  by three screws at the locations shown in yellow below, so if they are tight, and and the metal structure (magnesium I believe) that they are part of is intact, then the crack probably just superficial, but if not, then I would attempt to repair. 

capture.jpg

Note:   If you do decide to remove the base cover, be sure to immediately unplug the battery, and then press and hold the power button for a few seconds to dissipate any residual power.

Lenovo Thinkpad L480 Dissassembly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lwhCy1wgFI

ThinkPad L480 Hardware Maintenance Manual

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/l480_hmm_en.pdf

FYI    The Upper Palmrest KB Bezel Cover is available online with or without the fingerprint reader if needed, but it would require complete disassemble\y to replace.  

• With Fingerprint reader slot  FRU/Part Number:  01LW318
  • Without Fingerprint reader slot  FRU/Part Number:  01LW317

Best of luck,

Eugene15
Paper Tape
Views: 324
Message 3 of 5

Hi,

I also have a Lenovo L480 which is less than 1 year old and it has also developed few hairline cracks. In particular, I have got a hairline crack to the right of the right hinge, in the left corner beside Esc button, small crack to the left of left hinge and bigger crack near the bottom left corner of touchpad. I also was very careful to my devide and there were not acidents with it. To me it looks like cracks come from the body being under stress. I do not know however why the body is under stress.

I would like to get and advice on whether these cracks need immediate attention. Replacing the keyboard bezel myself is not an options as it requries to disassemble the whole laptop.

photo_2019-08-11_12-48-47 (2).jpgphoto_2019-08-11_12-48-47.jpg

MMReddy
What's DOS?
Views: 176
Message 4 of 5

Hi,

Even i also got same issue, i think this is manufacturing defect in this model, immediately loged the complaint on support portal , they said laptop is not under ADP but they agree to replace Upper cover. 

Varunyd
Paper Tape
Views: 142
Message 5 of 5

I own a Thinkpad L480. Bought it recently sometime in Jan 2019. 

I happent to be a very careful user, and handle it very softly. But recently I have noticed a crack above escape button (please refer the image attached).

Has anyone else using this model having similar issues ?

How do we contact the service in India ? 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors