Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WindIT
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,599
Message 1 of 5

Lenovo R60 AHCI Issue

A user had a virus, and the virus removed critical windows system files, The IT guy working that day used a Dell disk to do a windows repair, needless to say it was going to give us errors. It locks the user out of logging in because it will not operate unless you activate it and all it does is error out and hang up at an empty desktop.Which is what you expect using a Dell Disk on an IBM.

So i got a WinXP SP3 OEM disk and I tried to do a repair using it, but it will not find the hard drives due to the Hard Drives running in AHCI mode. I was going to try switching it to SATA mode just to do the repair and then switching it back, but I hear this can corrupt the Drive. Has anyone ever tried this?

So I tried using Raid drivers I found on this website, through floppy drive, and windows disk still does not find the Hard Drives
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-64283

I also tried using the F6 and using some other Generic drivers for the Raid system and they are not working either, can someone send me the correct drivers or let me know if changing the BIOS from AHCI to Sata will work as well, for the time being I am going to try and backing up the PC to an image that way if I do try the BIOS switch I will have the data saved.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 1,518
Message 2 of 5

Re: Lenovo R60 AHCI Issue

you have to switch the drive to compatibility mode rather than the ACHI mode. ACHI mode is the SATA mode, while the compatibility mode is the BIOS loading a compatible drive for the SATA hdd and window sees as it as a PATA drive.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
WindIT
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,514
Message 3 of 5

if I switch it to that compaitibily mode in BIOS and run the windows repair will it corrupt the data on the C drive when i switch it back to AHCI in BIOS? Or will it just mess up the ThinkPad Partition on the hard drive?

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 1,499
Message 4 of 5

It won't do anything to your partition when you switch the achi to compatibility or vice versa.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
WindIT
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,497
Message 5 of 5

well thats what I have been worried about, because I have heard of it under special circumstances happening. so i am backing up the drive on an external, so i can switch it back to SATA to get the  windows repaired, and finally get this thing finished.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors