cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DtD-Software
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,309
Message 1 of 3

Lenovo R61e Battery Issue, Doesn't qualify for replacement!

Yesterday I plugged my ThinkPad in for charging and let it charge, I am pretty sure it charged to 100% last night and had no errors. I wake up today to see the battery light flashing yellow and an error in the message center and battery manager that says:

"A battery error has occurred. The battery cannot be charged. Replace the battery."

I ran the battery diagnostic tool from http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=BATT-082009 and it says "Your battery is not eligible for replacement because it is not one of the affected battery FRU part numbers."  which is extremely frustrating. I treat my battery like a king, I rarely let it charge unless 10% it's only about 1.5 years old, along with the laptop, and has only had 320 cycles.

If I unplug the AC, the laptop immediatly looses power.

Side note: I got the extended 9-Cell battery if it means anything. I also am out of warranty. If somehow it would affect it, I upgraded my RAM from 1 GB to 3 GB.

Battery info:

Remaining percentage: 97%

Remaining time: -

Remaining capacity: 64.93 Wh

Full charge capacity: 66.94 Wh

Current: 0.00 A

Voltage:  12.11 V

Wattage: -

Temperature: 28 C

Cycle count: 320

Manufacturer: SANYO

Manufacture date: 2008-03-19

First used date: 2008-04

Serial Number: 11920

Bar-code number: 1ZESJ83K974

FRU part number: 42T4511

Device chemestry: Li-Ion

Design capacity: 84.24 Wh

Design voltage: 10.80 V

I really don't want to have to buy a new battery, so if you guys can help at all it would be great!

(PS> I have a multimeter so if sombody has a pinout on the battery I can test if it is giving normal current and stuff.)

EDIT: I just saw on replacement battery that my battery should have a voltage of 10.8 V! But mine says 12.11 V! Could that hint at my problem at all?

DtD-Software
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,246
Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo R61e Battery Issue, Doesn't qualify for replacement!

Nobody has any suggestions?

Any recommendations on a place to buy a battery at least?  Lenovo's prices are way too steep for me.

BTW> I manually measured the battery's voltage, and it is reading 0.11-0.14 V!! Something is either very wrong with the battery or the charging circuit in my laptop!

~DtD

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 1,241
Message 3 of 3

Re: Lenovo R61e Battery Issue, Doesn't qualify for replacement!

try ebay or something. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors