cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Trapper81
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,706
Message 1 of 7

Lenovo ThinkPad SL510 Laptop with Screen Crack - New Laptop & Lenovo says no Warranty Coverage

I purchased a brand new Lenovo ThinkPad SL510 a few months ago and I voluntarily purchased the three-year extended warranty because I had heard such great things about Lenovo's repair services and warranty services.  Many people had told me that the warranty services were top-notch and frustration free.  Not true so far in my experience. 

First, the screen crack started out as a hairline crack.  I did not drop the laptop or in any way cause the problem.  It just appeared one day and then got worse.  I spoke with Lenovo and they sent me a box to send it to them for the repair, but then they sent it back to me unfixed.  They did not even attempt to fix the crack and told me that they would require my credit card number to repair the screen and that it would cost no less than $900.  This is nearly twice the price of the laptop itself as purchased new.  The Lenovo technician apparently thought that I had caused the crack in the screen and nothing I said could change the technician's false belief that the problem had actually occurred through no fault of my own and might actually be a manufacturer's problem. 

I am not happy with Lenovo's handling of this matter so far and wanted to see if others had had similar problems.  Another problem is that if Lenovo does not fix the laptop, then I have a 2 and half year remaining warranty that I paid for that will now be for a laptop that does not even work.  I am now stuck with no working laptop.  This is a NEW laptop - purchased about six months ago!  Any opinions on this?  I wanted to give the company a fair chance before giving negative reviews on Lenovo's products and services. 

Thanks,

Judy

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 1,666
Message 2 of 7

Re: Lenovo ThinkPad SL510 Laptop with Screen Crack - New Laptop & Lenovo says no Warranty Covera

can you post a picture of the crack? Under most circumstances cracks in LCD are not covered under standard warranty, it is only covered under Accidental Protection Warranty.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Trapper81
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,646
Message 3 of 7

Re: Lenovo ThinkPad SL510 Laptop with Screen Crack - New Laptop & Lenovo says no Warranty Covera

I can try to post a picture of the screen and what it is doing tomorrow.  I now only have very limited access to my daughter's computer due to this problem.  Perhaps I used the wrong word... the screen is not actually "cracked"... it just has a cracked look on the lcd when it is turned on.  I don't understand why the standard warranty would not cover a manufacturer's problem.  There is nothing that has happened to the computer in terms of an accident.  It just started having this problem out of nowhere. 

From looking at the other comments about screen issues on this board, I am not the only person that got a dud SL510.  I am very frustrated as to why the warranty that I PURCHASED ADDITIONALLY FOR THREE YEARS will not cover a manufacturer's problem.  Is the warranty just a fake thing that customers are advised to purchase or something?  Lenovo should really take care of these obvious problems and address them appropriately.  All that the company has told me so far is sorry but the very expensive warranty you purchased on the brand new computer you purchased does not cover anything.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 1,640
Message 4 of 7

post a picture and lets see what it is first.

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Former Employee
Views: 1,622
Message 5 of 7

Hi Trapper81,

I can assist you to log this issue to the complaint management team to request their assistance to look into this. Would appreciate if you could post a picture of the "crack" as suggested by lead_org.

Also would appreciate if you could send me the following information as needed for me to log the case.

1. Name:
2. Mobile:
3. Address:
4. Email:
5. Serial Number:
6. Case number:

Do send it to me in private message and do not post it here.

//JameZ
Trapper81
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,474
Message 6 of 7

It has taken me forever to finally get a picture of the cracked screen without another computer to use that works with my camera.  I have a picture, but cannot figure out how to post it on the board.  James, could you please send me your email address so that I can email it to you with the additonal requested information?  Thank you for your help.

Former Employee
Views: 1,457
Message 7 of 7

@Trapper81,

I've sent you a PM on my email.

//JameZ

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors