Serial Port
Views: 3,538
Message 1 of 4

Lenovo Thinkpad SL500 ... DON'T BUY IT . BAD BAD BAD LAPTOP

I've had SO many problems with this laptop . Within 5 Months ;

NVIDIA Chip Melted

Motherboard Died

High Res Screen died [I paid extra for the high res]

Software , bloatware , XP incompatibilities with driver problems galore messing up basic things like wireless connection

It is actually NOT a Thinkpad as the name implies either , it is part of the inferior "Idea Pad" platform range .

Had to pay to get dead motherboard , dead Nvidia Chip and dead Screen replaced .

Now I have a low res screen but much worse I have a Bat Sh**t crazy mouse / cursor , which jumps around and right clicks and left clicks and double left clicks without me prompting it at all . A complete mind of it's own .

Actually , as of just now , it has become literally IMPOSSIBLE to use . I literally spent 15 minutes [measured by the time of my last email to a technician] simply trying to cut and past 3 , THREE word documents from my desktop to my External Hard Drive . Couldn't do it .

Geez , there are many other problems .

Total Crap this computer is .

I'm Moving to ASUS next I think , haven't read of any of this sort of junk happening with those , but I don't know ... There are a few options ... Whatever I choose to go with next it can't be any worse than this piece of garbage . No more Lenovo for me .

The only thing this SL500 is good for is throwing out of a window .

Shoddy Shoddy Shoddy workmanship .

Note from Moderator:  Please don't post the same message in multiple boards/threads as it splinters the discussion.  Duplicate(s) removed.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 3,504
Message 2 of 4

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad SL500 ... DON'T BUY IT . BAD BAD BAD LAPTOP

wouldn't the warranty cover all these problems if you only had been using it for 5 months?

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
benway
Serial Port
Views: 3,387
Message 3 of 4

My licensed authorized Lenovo dealer ["business partner"] refuses to do anything about it too .

Lenovo does not accept responsibility , points at the business partner.

I am $380 out of pocket for repairs for a laptop which does not work properly , leaving me close to $2000 totally EFFED  .....

with the blame on me for not giving away my XP password to the repairs department so they could fully test it .

Not right .

Stay away .

Avoid .

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 3,256
Message 4 of 4

Thinkpad repair is done by Bytecraft and is managed through IBM service, why did you have to the get the Lenovo dealer involved in this whole fiasco? Also, who is the dealer? which city are you living in?

Did you call Lenovo warranty on 131426 to initiate the warranty claim, or did you just brought the laptop to the dealer and asked them to help you deal with the warranty repair?

Who said that they will log into win xp? The policy for Thinkpad repair is that they don't use your OS. When the laptop arrives at the depot, the hdd is taken out and replaced with the depot hdd which runs a series of test. 

The warranty support will ask you for the bios password, but never window's password.

So i am confused whom told you that the XP password is the problem. 

Hopefully you have kept all the call reference number with Lenovo warranty support (provided that you gone through this route). they should be like P4Dxxxx. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors