Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pvaneden
Paper Tape
Views: 5,767
Message 1 of 12

Missing option to create set of recovery discs in Rescue & Recovery

Today I was investigating something in ThinkVantage Rescue & Recovery since one of my attempts to create a set of recovery discs had gone wrong - I created a Rescue Disc (boot disk) instead of a set of Recovery Disks.

Basically, what I discovered is that according to this IBM page http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-68317.html I am supposed to see two options when clicking "Create Recovery Media" in the ThinkVantage start menu group: (1) Rescue Media and (2) Recovery Discs. In the event that a set of Recovery Discs (option 2) has already been created, this option will become gray and can't be selected, however it will still be visible, displaying the text that you've already created a set of Recovery Discs and that your license doesn't allow you to make any more.

The strange thing here is that I don't at all have option 2: Recovery Discs, whether active or inactive (gray)! Please find attached the three relevant screenshots: the last one is of my computer (and is in Dutch but shows you that I have only option 1 to select), the bottom two are from the link I provided above and show the distinction between having option 2 active or inactive (gray text).

Does anyone know what is going on here? And will this entitle me to a complimentary (in effect, free) set of Resovery Disks from IBM Support (taking into account my warranty has expired)?

I've got an R50p running Windows XP Pro (1832-W1D).

[IMG]http://i38.tinypic.com/2r3w1ts.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i34.tinypic.com/nxnudg.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i38.tinypic.com/33563o1.jpg[/IMG]

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 5,758
Message 2 of 12

Re: Missing option to create set of recovery discs in Rescue & Recovery

hello  pvanden welcome to the forums

i see that you have not provided the country or the city in which you live pls read forum rules before posting 

coming to your system recovery options if you have already created a recovery cd(not rescue media)it might be advisable for you to contact ibm support as soon as possible since you have a valid windows license you may get a set of product recovery cd's for a nominal fee

pvaneden
Paper Tape
Views: 5,749
Message 3 of 12

Thank you for your kind response. I was under the impression that my location had already been entered - sorry for that.

With regard to your suggestion, I must say that I rather not pay a fee for a feature that should have been available. Still, I appreciate your response and the added knowledge that I would be entitled to order a set of recovery discs at a nominal fee.

Would there be any other suggestions as to the cause/solution of the problem described?

R50p running Windows XP Pro (1832-W1D).

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 5,715
Message 4 of 12

If you are still under warranty they will probably send you a set since you cannot make your own, or If you restore the system to factory condition using the blue button at system startup, it will allow you to make a set of recovery discs again.

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo
pvaneden
Paper Tape
Views: 5,699
Message 5 of 12

I am no longer under warranty and have tried to make the set of recovery discs immediately after restoring the system to factory condition, but have always faced the situation mentioned.

However, I have been able to find the hidden partition on my hard drive, using a special software program, and could make an image of the 3.23 GB partition. Would this work? Could I turn that into a set of recovery disks?

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 5,695
Message 6 of 12

may be its not possible like that due to licensing issues you can only make one set of recovery cd's did u try by making them from the thinkvantage button during startup check out in the thinkvantage environment whether you can make such cd's or not
Message Edited by samavedam_vijay on 07-13-2008 02:32 PM
pvaneden
Paper Tape
Views: 5,623
Message 7 of 12

Unfortunately I don't have the option there either.

Alternatively I could copy the 3.23 GB hidden partition on my hard drive (or make an image of it). Would I be able to use this later on in any way? Would you have any ideas of how to turn this into something that has the same functionality as a set of Recovery Discs?

Thanks again!

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 5,615
Message 8 of 12

i dont think it wil work in that way try contacting lenovo support and ask them whether you can use your license key you obtain on the COA and install vista from another dvd during installation try giving the COA of your system it should work
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 5,606
Message 9 of 12

Have you updated Rescue and Recovery? What version are you using now? Possibly an update may give you the option to create a recovery set.

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo
pvaneden
Paper Tape
Views: 5,597
Message 10 of 12

I have indeed updated to the latest Rescue & Recovery using System Update, in effect I'm running Rescue & Recovery 4.2.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors