Options

5 Posts

07-05-2019

US

31 Signins

351 Page Views

• Views: 351
  • Message 1 of 2

New L380 ThinkPad owner! Questions please.

2019-07-05, 22:28 PM

Hi everyone. Just want to introduce myself as I'm now a happy owner of a new Lenovo L380 Yoga ThinkPad laptop. Got it from Best Buy for $899.99 last week.

I'm upgrading from an old Sony Vaio Windows laptop from several years ago, that thing was sooooo slow to boot up/shut down and perform simple Photoshop commands. It would take more than a few minutes to simply boot up Windows, I would go to the kitchen to brew a pot of coffee, then come back to the Sony laptop to finally start up Windows. It was practically unusable.

My new L380 with its 256GB SSD drive boots up Windows in only 10 to 15 seconds and shuts down even faster. I'm simply blown away! Truly amazed! Plus it's my first laptop with a 2 in 1 design touchscreen with stylus pen writing...so cool!

I was also checking out some Lenovo Yoga 2 in 1 laptops (930 model?) and was impressed with its thinness and screen brilliance. But I didn't like the minimal connection ports on the sides of the laptops. Nor did I like the very reflective screen. Also didn't care for the keyboard and lack of right/left click buttons on these other Yoga models. 

Some questions please:

1) I'm wondering if it's worthwhile for me to upgrade the built-in 8GB of RAM? So far it's been very quick for my basic needs. But I'm considering doing more intensive Photoshop commands such as batch processing hundreds or thousands or Nikon digital RAW files in the future. Will 8 GB of RAM be sufficient for this task?

2) I called a local computer tech shop that I trust to quote me prices for RAM upgrade and installation fee. Here was the quote I was given. An 8GB RAM stick costs $89 each (for going up to 16GB total). A 16GB RAM stick goes for $129 each (x2 sticks for going up to 32GB of total). Should I go for either 24GB or 32GB of total RAM?  Installation fee is $40 for labor. Does this pricing seem reasonable?

3) The same shop quoted me $179 for upgrading to a 512GB SSD drive. Or $229 for a 1 terabyte drive. Plus labor fee extra. Does this seem reasonable? Sorry that I forgot to ask for brand names of the RAM and SSD drive. Should I worry about filling up my built-in 256GB SSD drive soon? I used to do tons of digital photography processing, but I only do so lightly nowadays. 

4) On the keyboard, there is a left click button and right click button. What is the "middle" button in between for? I notice the middle button clicks, but I can't figure out if it's doing anything.

5) I'm using "Classic Shell" app to restore the familar Windows 7 functionality on my laptop. I have used Classic Shell successfully in the past on other Windows laptops, but I've read that Classic Shell is no longer supported by the developer. Should I worry that Classic Shell might cause any problems running on my laptop?

6) Can I use an external battery pack with a USB-C cord to power my laptop on the go? Or is it too slow to charge? How about using a charger connected to my car's 12 volt outlet to charge the laptop?

7) What is a good wireless external mouse to use with this laptop? It's too laborious to use the trackpad when using Photoshop for processing digital images.

8) As for a Lightning 3.0 port, which I know this laptop doesn't have, am I really missing anything here? I don't think I will be connecting my laptop to external monitors or doing any fancy connections. If so, I would simply use the built-in HDMI port. Is Lightning 3.0 really that useful that I should be envious of???

Thank you much for this community forum!

-CSC

Options

459 Posts

05-02-2019

US

322 Signins

7862 Page Views

• Views: 7862
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: New L380 ThinkPad owner! Questions please.

2020-01-21, 15:32 PM

Hi !

Welcome to Lenovo Community Forums.

Sorry for the late response. According to the product specification of your ThinkPad L380, the memory capacity of this machine is up to 32GB max 2400MHz DDR4, dual-channel capable, two DDR4 SO-DIMM sockets. 

Some variation of the machine comes with M.2 SSD SATA 6.0Gb/s and SSD PCIe NVMe, PCIe, i'm not sure about the prices as it depends on where are you located and specially the brand.

For the Lightning 3.0 port, your machine have ports for Two USB 3.1 Gen 1 (one Always On) and two USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 1 (with the function of Power Delivery and DisplayPort), HDMI 1.4b, Ethernet extension connector, headphone / microphone combo jack, microSD card reader, security keyhole.

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete