Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
engvallen
Paper Tape
Views: 1,007
Message 1 of 6

New L560 issue (Intel boot agent) (W7P)

So i just bougth a brand new L560 Thinkpad and got a small problem. It all started when the laptop just frooze and the only thing was to press and hold the power button to shut it down. At first i couldn´t start windows properly so i had to switch to safe mode. After that it started normally but now i keep seeing the intel boot agent on startup:

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

PXE- MOF: Exiting intel boot agent.

The only thing i can recall doing was to upgrade the BIOS the other day. But everything was ok during the upgrade. The computer works fine now but i´m pretty sure the startup messages wasn´t there the first times i started the computer.

Any ideas? The laptop is just 3 days old...

Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 939
Message 2 of 6

Re: New L560 issue (Intel boot agent) (W7P)

Hi,

Can you try to go into BIOS Setup and check the boot priority order?

1. Power on the system
  2. Press F1 key while system displays Lenovo logo
  3. When entering BIOS Setup, use left/right cursor key to go to Startup page
  4. Select Boot and press Enter to open "Boot Priority Order" page
  5. If "PCI LAN" is located at higher position than storage device ( HDD or SSD), select "PCI LAN" by up/down cursor key and press F5 key to move it lower postion than storage device
  6. Press F10 key to Save and Exit BIOS setup 

engvallen
Paper Tape
Views: 924
Message 3 of 6

I tried the boot order earlier but it didn't help. This morning i tried to re connect the ssd drive and it helped so i thought it was solved. But after a while when i restarted the massage was back again. So probably something more advanced in the bios setting has to be done...

Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 917
Message 4 of 6

This would not be your solution but how about to remove PCI LAN from the boot order list as temp workaround?  To exclude the PCI LAN, select PCI LAN in the boot order and press "shift+1" key to exclude.

Because I never heard such a strange symptom before and there is no advanced option available at BIOS setup to execute PxE boot first other than using WakeOnLAN boot, can you describe how do you install Windows 7 Pro to your system for further investigation?  Do you use Lenovo preload image or install by yourself from install DVD ?

engvallen
Paper Tape
Views: 892
Message 5 of 6

I use the preloaded image available on the ssd partion. I tried to reinstall w7pro but it made no difference. I did try to exklude the pci lan, didn't help. Do you think this function came with the latest bios update i made? 

Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 885
Message 6 of 6

In order to dupliucate the symptom in my office, can you locate the photo shots of 1)BIOS Stup Main page view, 2)Startup page view and 3)Boot Priority Order page ciew ?

Then, can you try to perform load default setting action by following procedure?

a)Go to Restart page of BIOS Setup

b)Select OS Optimized Defaults and make it Disabled

c)Press F9 button to load default settings and press F10 to save & exit BIOS setup.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors