Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cegin
Paper Tape
Views: 2,096
Message 1 of 4

Problem with Kingston memory

Hi,
i have ThinkPad R61 (model 7732-1EG) with 1GB RAM memory (two Lenovo/IBM original 512MB memory modules manufactured by Hynix).
I tried to replace them with two 1GB memory modules from Kingston manufacturer.
Modules are 1GB 667MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL5 SODIMM
Detailed name is: Standard 128M X 64 Non-ECC 667MHz 200-pin Unbuffered SODIMM (SDRAM-DDR2, 1.8V, CL5)

Url to modules datasheet is bellow:
http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/PartsInfo.asp?root=us&LinkBack=http://www.kingston....

After I replaced original mem. modules with new ones (step by step according to IBM/Lenovo manual) and started the notebook, display did not show any text and notebook was only beeping several times. I guess that the problem is with memory modules but I don't understand why, because the modules should be compatible with TP R61.

Has anyone encountered similar problem?

Moderator edit: made link clickable

Message Edited by carbon_unit on 01-04-2008 06:44 AM
R61 7731-1EG, 1GB Ram. Windows XP.
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 2,093
Message 2 of 4

Re: Problem with Kingston memory

I looked through the compatibility list on the link you provided and I did not see any Thinkpads listed.

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo
wdeal
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,088
Message 3 of 4

Have you double-checked that the modules are seated properly?  Precesely snapped in place?

Also, try just one Kingston module. I believe pairs are not required for your notebook, so boot with one Kingston and boot again with the other.  DOA SO-DIMMs arent uncommon -- you might determine that only one is problematic.

You might also try to book with one of your prior Hynix parts and one Kingston, and check if your OS sees 1.5GB (approx, RAM devoted to graphics may reduce total RAM depending on your configuration).

Based on the specs they should work, but with RAM often you're rolling the dice until you boot with it.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 2,069
Message 4 of 4

You might have got a defective module so checking them one at a time is a good idea.
This is the reason that most memory manufacturers sell specific memory that is guaranteed to work in a particular model. Sometimes "fits all" memory doesn't cut it. It's cheaper and it might work but it might not work. You save some money but you take your chances.

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors