cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kevink
Paper Tape
Views: 714
Message 1 of 2

R30 wont boot after bios update.. says need new b/up batt.... Please helppppppppppppp

Why does this happen when I have a deadline... I have a r30 and did the bios thinkpad advange update and it said code f-250 and f270 replace batt. So I replaced batt and it still says it. try to boot via cd and does not see cd or even allow me to go in to set boot priority. Out of frustration was even ready to re load xp and f-disk it but does not see the cd rom... Please anyone... need help as I lose my job if i dont get this up and I'm on someone else's comp. just to post this....

Thank you in advance for what ever in put you can help with.

Signed

PLEASE HELP

kevin

kev@kevstheman.com

mike-s
Paper Tape
Views: 603
Message 2 of 2

Re: R30 wont boot after bios update.. says need new b/up batt.... Please helppppppppppppp

I've found theres a physical problem with the design of the motherboard (or at least MY R30), it seems that the bios battery holder has  comes up from the motherboard indicating a dry solder joint is the cause. I have resoldered it twice and am now considering putting in a 3032 battery with the built in leads and soldering it directly to the motherboard and bypassing the dodgy battery clip altogether. Also a kludge to make sure it keeps contact is cut up a peice of plastic 1/8 inch/2-3mm thick to the size that fits underneath the keyboard plug and contacts the battery,  and wedge it under there. I've had my bios battery kept in by this method for a month or so now and im not changing it until i can be bothered with stripping my laptop down and replacing the battery connector as indicated above.

Good luck, p.s. did you really need to upgrade the bios or was it a "why not?" idea?         

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors