Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
96ironman
Punch Card
Views: 4,534
Message 1 of 9

R40 Hard Drive Replace Problem

I bought an IBM R40 used on ebay.  It came without recovery disks or OS disks.  It has been bullet proof for 3 years and I travel for a living.  Nothing fancy, just works.

One day booting up, I get a "Fixed Disk Failure".  So I found a replacement 40GB HDD on ebay at a great price and it is a Hitachi, just like the one I pulled out.  I installed it and then ordered a set of recovery CDs from Lenovo.  They run $45US.

It comes as a set of 4 CDs and it supposed to include all preloaded software, drivers and a copy of Windows XP.  I booted to the CD and followed the instructions through all 4 CDs.  At the end of the 4th CD it says:  "Recovery Continuing, Remove any diskettes or CDs from the drives, and press Enter to restert your computer."  When I do that, all I get is a blank screen with a flashing curser in the upper left corner.

I've loaded the CDs 4 times, same result.  I've ordered another set of CDs thinking they were missing something, same result.

During the CD load, I can see the HDD light blinking indicating action on the new drive.  When I look at the BIOS, it recognizes the new HDD because it list it by model number.  I've changed the BIOS security settings for the IBM Predesktop Area to DISABLE as  recommended by someone on another board, same result. 

I don't want to throw this Laptop away, but I am at the end of my rope.  My wife thinks I've got way too much time, money and energy invested in this repair already.  I hate to admit she is right. 

Can anyone help?

IBM Thinkpad R40
Type 2682
1 GB RAM
40 GB HDD
CDR/W DVDROM
Windows XP Home
Guru
Views: 4,532
Message 2 of 9

Re: R40 Hard Drive Replace Problem

Have you set up the CD-ROM in BIOS as the primary drive prior to running the install from the disks?
Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
96ironman
Punch Card
Views: 4,526
Message 3 of 9

Yes.  CD Rom at the top.
IBM Thinkpad R40
Type 2682
1 GB RAM
40 GB HDD
CDR/W DVDROM
Windows XP Home
96ironman
Punch Card
Views: 4,478
Message 4 of 9

New information.

The CD recovery disks I purchased from Lenovo come with a utility called PC Doctor. I ran the Fixed Disk series of tests and the Controller comes up "Failed". The rest of the tests show a good HDD.

Is the Fixed Disk Controller part of the motherboard or is it part of the new hard drive? Is the controller something that can be updated with a driver update or firmware update.

I haven't given up yet.
IBM Thinkpad R40
Type 2682
1 GB RAM
40 GB HDD
CDR/W DVDROM
Windows XP Home
tstallings
Paper Tape
Views: 4,422
Message 5 of 9

How on earth do you even change out a hdd on an r40? I have never really messed with the hardware on a laptop and have spent nearly an hour trying to figure out how to get the hard drive out.
Guru
Views: 4,415
Message 6 of 9

Hard disk controller is a part of the motherboard.

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
tstallings
Paper Tape
Views: 4,408
Message 7 of 9

I am aware of this, thank you. I was just wondering if I am needing to take out every screw on the backside to get to the motherboard, or how to get to the hard drive. I know what to do from there, am just having difficulties with finding the hdd so i can remove it. its on an r40, type 2897
tstallings
Paper Tape
Views: 4,405
Message 8 of 9

actually i just found it 10 minutes after my reply. it was next to the firewire usb, and headphone ports. thanks guys
96ironman
Punch Card
Views: 4,349
Message 9 of 9

Try this link:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-45899.html

Click on the R40 manual and download the .pdf. 

The HDD removal is on pg 66 with diagrams.

IBM Thinkpad R40
Type 2682
1 GB RAM
40 GB HDD
CDR/W DVDROM
Windows XP Home

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors