Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
Message 1 of 7 (569 Views)

R40 No splash, beep or post.

Hi there I'm new here and would like some advice. I've just purchased a bare boned R40 with no ram, hdd or cards. It was advertised as "posts to BIOS" but I've not been able to get it working. I've added correct memory using both slots, one stick tried on each side, with battery and without, power x 10 plus 30 etc etc. All I get is usual LED lights, fan spin then just power and battery light. When you power off you do get a tiny click but no life in the screen. Any suggestions how to test and see if the system board is fried?

Jaba x

Community Moderator
Message 2 of 7 (537 Views)

Re: R40 No splash, beep or post.

First, I am making an assumption that the board came with a CPU. The reason I am asking is that R40 came with both Pentium 4 and Pentium M CPUs. The CPU must match the board. The most basic test is to pull all the RAM and try to start. You should get a beep pattern 1-3-3-1.

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Fanfold Paper
Message 3 of 7 (526 Views)

Thanks for the fast reply Rich!

The dedicated cpu, heatsink and fan is all there as shipped so the issue has to be elsewhere. I haven't had any beep error codes throughout and the fan kicks in for just a couple of seconds then dies. I beginning to think the mobo is toast. I can't think of any other tests I could do. Wouldn't the splash screen kick in without any memory on this model? If you have any other ideas I would be grateful.

Jaba x

Community Moderator
Message 4 of 7 (511 Views)

It sounds like the board is dead.

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Fanfold Paper
Message 5 of 7 (496 Views)

Oh well thanks Rich. I hate fleabay - so many scammers and it takes ages to resolve issues like this. The company listed the item as

We have powered on the laptop in to the BIOS to check the spec of the machine, but that is all the testing we do.

I'll try the resolution centre and see what transpires.

Jaba x

Paper Tape
Message 6 of 7 (207 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

did you find out what was the problem? I have same issue with my W700 and can not fix it. The anly differance is that I do hear beep sound when I took out RAM and put it back. I would really appreciate your reply.

Fanfold Paper
Message 7 of 7 (167 Views)

The motherboard was indeed faulty.