09-25-2015

Pennsylvania

5 Signins

39 Page Views

• Views: 39
  • Message 1 of 3

R400 wifi card

2015-09-25, 1:34 AM

I just purchased and installed an IBM Atheros Ar5bhb63 mini pci wifi card for my R400. The internet had stopped working so I was hoping the new card would get things working again. The problem is the pc locks up on startup and tells me to remove the "unauthorized mini pci card and restart".

I removed the card and installed the latest bios hoping that would do the trick. Then I reinstalled the card but it immediatly displayed the error message again. What am I doing wrong?

Options

185 Posts

12-11-2009

US

441 Signins

6046 Page Views

• Views: 6046
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: R400 wifi card

2015-11-01, 23:16 PM

I have this vague recollection that the refusal of your R400 to accept any slightly different internal WiFi card is built into the firmware or hardware of the R400 by Lenovo, and that there (at the time I read this) was no way to get around this.  That is, you either use the exact piece of hardware specified by the design of your R400, or you must do without an internal WiFi card.
    Since good quality USB Wifi adapters are widely available for as little as $5 in the USA, this shouldn't be a major problem.    I would simply switch to using one of these, if I were you.

Options

2 Posts

09-25-2015

Pennsylvania

5 Signins

39 Page Views

• Views: 39
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: R400 wifi card

2015-11-03, 1:24 AM

Thanks tresho, after buying two different cards, much playing around with bios' and supposed fixes I've come to the same conclusion! The only good thing to come out of it is after taking that laptop apart and putting it back together so many times with all of those tiny screws my hand-eye coordination is better than it's ever been!

I do want to say shame on IBM for making something so ridiculously proprietary! Last product of theirs I'll ever waste my money on!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete