Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jukes75
Punch Card
Views: 3,192
Message 1 of 6

R50 CPU Upgrade

I've been doing a few upgrades to my R50 1829-4AM and the last one I want to do is the CPU. It currently has the original Pentium M Centrino 1.4ghz installed and I've looked at the list available to the R50 suite in the link below to see what is available:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-53115.html

I was contemplating purchasing the Intel Pentium M processor 745 (1.8GHz) (FRU = 91P7357) and wanted to be sure that it was compatible with the laptop and that there would be no adverse issues (i.e. overheating)

Would I need to update any other components in-line with the CPU to make sure it all functions smoothly?

Thanks in advance

ZaZ
Greps Everything
Views: 3,178
Message 2 of 6

Re: R50 CPU Upgrade

What upgrades have you done so far?
Views: 3,168
Message 3 of 6

Just a few upgrades, nothing too major:

The RAM has been increased to 2gb.

The HDD has been upgraded to a Seagate Momentus 160gb.

The PCI Card has been upgraded to Lenovo ThinkPad 11a/b/g Wireless LAN Mini PCI Adapter II

ZaZ
Greps Everything
Views: 3,160
Message 4 of 6

I want to say you should be able to upgrade to any Dothan Pentium M, but that could be a guess on my part.  Perhaps one of our more informed colleagues could speak up here.  I think upgrading to a faster hard drive will likely yield better performance results, more so than the CPU.  The hard drive is often the slowest link in the performance chain as the machine waits for data to be found and read.  This is especially true of typical usage like Office or Internet, which don't really push the CPU that much.  Now there are some things that do like coding video or crunching databases, but if you're looking to do those things maybe you should be looking at a newer twin core notebook.
Views: 3,157
Message 5 of 6

Sorry, but you cannot upgrade to a Pentium M 745. Your chipset limits you to Pentium M processors but not the Pentium M 7XX series.

This information is direct from the HMM.

R50 series:

Intel Pentium M processor 1.4 GHz, L2 1-MB cache

Intel Pentium M processor 1.5 GHz, L2 1-MB cache

Intel Pentium M processor 1.6 GHz, L2 1-MB cache

Intel Pentium M processor 1.7 GHz, L2 1-MB cache

The maximum possible upgrade would be the Pentium M 1.7GHz [SL6N5]
Message Edited by ortegaluis on 03-18-2009 12:00 PM

\\ I do not respond to PM regarding individual tech support. Keep discussions in the forum for the benefit of others //
jukes75
Punch Card
Views: 3,142
Message 6 of 6

Thanks to both of you for your replies.

I did initially think I would be  better off upgrading to the Intel Pentium M processor, 1.7GHz (FRU = 91P7387) rather than the Intel Pentium M processor 745 (1.8GHz) (FRU = 91P7357) but wanted to ask anyway.

The HDD I installed spins at 5400 rpm and has markedly improved performance as you suggested it would but I wanted to beef up the CPU a little more as well.

Thankfully I also own a T60 Core 2 Duo and the R50 is my second laptop. I can't bring myself around to get rid of it. It still runs like when I first bought it.

Thanks again

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors