Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Apoptosis
Paper Tape
Views: 1,667
Message 1 of 9

R500 Sub par keyboard?

Hey all,

Just bought my first Lenovo thinkpad because I was looking for something sturdy with a good keyboard (main concern for my large university project this year). I ended up with a great deal on a R500 2716RZ3 which doesn't seem to exist on any Lenovo support pages btw... I'd played with a friends Lenovo and found that it's quality was perfect for what I wanted.

However, while I'm 90% satisfied with my Thinkpad I am really a little underwhelmed by the keyboard. The righ hand half of the keyboard is good - the way I expected it. While the left half rattles and bends quite a lot under normal typing pressure.

Is this kind of asymetry in quality usual? Or should I try hassling Lenovo support chanels for a possible keyboard replacement? Or possibly even just try to source a better build one from another model and put it in myself...

Thanks for any light to be shed on it Smiley Happy

Ideasmiths
802.11n
Views: 1,651
Message 2 of 9

Re: R500 Sub par keyboard?

R series are not like T or X Series. The casing and most parts are plastics. So the keyboard could be the same as in other series but the surface and support underneath the R500 keyboard may have 'qaulity' or design problem.

Your right side is strong because it has a DVD/CDRW drive there? This prop up the surface and support there. While on the left side it's mostly just the motherboard and the USB ports/other ports. Hence the empty space could have weaken that side.

My R500 feels okay on left and right...so maybe you should seek lenovo support help...change the chasis or something...

Apoptosis
Paper Tape
Views: 1,644
Message 3 of 9

Thanks mate, I had thought that possible - but I was hoping to be wrong!

I guess a waranty unfriendly way to fix it would be to make a bracket or to simply reenforce the  back of the keyboard.

You are correct about the DVD drive theory - that is right under the best feeling part of the keyboard.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 1,632
Message 4 of 9

Mr Programmed Cell Death. 

The keyboard problem of the newer Wxxx, Txxx and Rxxx series, is due to the removal of the metal backplate on the keyboard, if you go and buy a T6x, R6x and Z6x keyboard, and your problem will be solved.

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 1,630
Message 5 of 9

R series lack a screen magnesium roll cage of the T series, but the body chassis do use a magnesium alloy internal rollcage. 
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Apoptosis
Paper Tape
Views: 1,618
Message 6 of 9

Thanks very much Smiley Happy Pity I need to buy a superceded model's keyboard to make my current one acceptable. Nevertheless!

Nice pickup on the nick Smiley Wink

Ideasmiths
802.11n
Views: 1,600
Message 7 of 9

My bad, wrong intel....and I was fussing over the screen wobbling....

Strange, my R500 keyboard feels okay. Is your thumb too big? Smiley Happy

alank2
Punch Card
Views: 1,459
Message 8 of 9

Hi,

My R500 arrived today and I too was disappointed in the keyboard at first.  The left side especially S D F keys and the area around them had a terrible bouncing non-solid sound when typed on.

Sure enough looking under the keyboard shows a lack of solid area, but I don't think that is the issue.  What I noticed is the the lower left corner of the keyboard was where the bouncing was occuring.  If you pull that lower left corner toward the front of the notebook just slightly to that it hangs over the edge just a bit and then tighten the screw, you can then push it down after the screw is tight and the tension will keep it there and keep the keyboard from making the terrible noise when typing on those keys.

This made a huge difference for me at least.

Good luck,

Alan

tresho
HDMI
Views: 215
Message 9 of 9

I've had my R500 since Sept 2010 & am beginning to think the keyboard is just not very durable. I have just installed my 3rd or 4th new replacement keyboard because of wear & tear & mushy keys that slow me down. I do type a great deal on this machine, and replacing keyboards, etc. is WAAAY cheaper than buying a new laptop. At this moment eBay is not advertising any "new" keyboards, just used or refurb'd ones - which I would avoid. My R500 feels like new now.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors