cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anon
Paper Tape
Views: 2,241
Message 1 of 5

R51 2887 Hard drive is dead, how to replace the drive and setup.

The R51 2887-W1F has a dead HDD.

I start the laptop and WinXP Pro sits at the opening screen for 45 minutes.

Nothing new installed, infact the Access button just freezes the laptop after a while too.

I pulled the HDD out and ran a number of hardware tests, even MemTest86 for 4 hours and the laptop is in good shape.

I put the HDD on an 2.5"-to-3.5" IDE adapter and tried to get 3 different PCs to see the HDD but I can't see the HDD and so I can't copy anything over to the PC.

Any thoughts on how to do so?

Since it appears to be a dead/dying 20GB HDD, I was going to replace it with a 80 GB HDD.

I understand that's the biggest this R51 can use/see.

I know the R51 had a special partition with some files, and IBM has a TON of special drivers too. 

So what problems can I expect with an outright replacement of HDD?

Do I actually need the special partition & if so how do i install it?

Moderator Note; please update your profile with your correct country location as per the forum rules. Products, options and services vary from market to market. Knowing your location helps us help you

Message Edited by andyP on 09-22-2008 06:43 PM
wjli2
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,224
Message 2 of 5

Re: R51 2887 Hard drive is dead, how to replace the drive and setup.

You should be able to upgrade to any PATA size drive of 9.5 mm thickness that you wish, there is no limit in size. So you can get a 250 gig if you want, any harddrive brand. If you don't have the original recovery cd, then you will have to use off the shelf version of the XP pro cd and activate it using your own s/n on the bottom of the laptop. You can download most of the drivers off the Lenovo.com support site.

Highlighted
Anon
Paper Tape
Views: 2,218
Message 3 of 5

To avoid downloading all those drivers, I'll go looking around for the recovery cd first.

But I'm sure it's been lost.

Many Thanks.

leongsam
What's DOS?
Views: 2,011
Message 4 of 5

My R51 2887 also had a hard drive failure 3 days ago. Everything's gone! IDE hard drive is hard to buy nowadays. I found one at 160G for Singapore $95.

Getting the windoze to work is a pain in the aXX. Because mine did not come with any recovery nor setup disk. Mine was preloaded into the system and hence I had a bit of trouble getting it activated using another copy. After a 20 min call to micro**bleep**, they finally relented and issued me with a new activation code.

The drivers can be easily downloaded from lenovo website. 

Anon
Paper Tape
Views: 2,006
Message 5 of 5

I ran Spinrite and recovered enough to boot Windoze and ghosted the IBM Access partition and burned it to disk.

But the drive had complete failure after that.

I should point out that Linux live CDs like Helix freeze up on R51 2887 laptops after 30 minutes or so, regardless if the HDD is physically installed or not.

I found this site has laptop hard drives (160GB $77), and no need to buy them from singapore.

http://www.megacomputer.ca/

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors