Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
garypack
Fanfold Paper
Views: 981
Message 1 of 5

R51 model 2888 installing new hard drive but have no recovery disks that work

Are there any alternatives to malfunctioning recovery disks or purchasing new ones?

I do not know how to use torrent files and would like to "rebuild" daughter's laptop somehow with major expense.

All seems to be in order except I only have Dell Windows XP Pro CD and when loaded cannot be accessed.

Guru
Views: 951
Message 2 of 5

Re: R51 model 2888 installing new hard drive but have no recovery disks that work

Welcome to the forum!

Have you tried running recovery from your hard drive, by pressing F11 on boot?

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
garypack
Fanfold Paper
Views: 930
Message 3 of 5

Re: R51 model 2888 installing new hard drive but have no recovery disks that work

Yup...3 alternatives...return to boot up which leaves me with black screen and blinking cursur, enter bios setup which appears to be ok based on what little I know, or go to boot from disk drive which goes to windows setup, loads the files (from a Dell disk which is all I have unfortunately) and back to blinking cursur, none of which get me anywhere.

This is new  "used" hard drive and it does not have any IBM stuff on it.....need to know how to get to DOS or something and be able to set up windows or something and get proper drivers with least amount of pain or money since I am unemployed.....

Please note, I am not much in the IT arena......but thanks for the reply...any ideas?

Guru
Views: 910
Message 4 of 5

Honestly, short of spending money, the only alternative I can suggest is to load Linux on it.

My suggestion would be Mint, you can download and burn a CD from here:

http://www.linuxmint.com/release.php?id=11

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
garypack
Fanfold Paper
Views: 886
Message 5 of 5

Hooray...loaded Windows XP (quick) and most lenovo drivers!!!!!

Updated everything through external wireless card...now have eithernet and internal wireless working.

Having trouble finding a Intervideo wWIN/DVD program for R%! that works.

Most are updates and i can't seem to find "base" program needed or somthing.

BUt...almost there which I thought would never happen.

garypack

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors