Did you mean: 
Highlighted
markroth
Paper Tape
Views: 683
Message 1 of 5

R51e -- Installing UltraBay Battery

OK, my dreary R51e saga continues.

I took out the CD/DVD drive and replaced it with a new IBM battery.

Even after a couple of reboots, both Windows and ThinkVantage show only the main battery.

I have looked and looked, both in various settings onboard the computer and on the Web, trying to find an explanation or a solution.

So, here I am again.

What should I be looking at/for?

Thanks,

Mark, the UltraBay-weary ThinkLoyalist Smiley Frustrated

markroth
Paper Tape
Views: 682
Message 2 of 5

Re: R51e -- Installing UltraBay Battery

Apparently I did something wrong.

I turned off my machine, tipped it over, and felt the UltraBay battery slide out against my hand!

Sigh

I guess I'll have to remove the keyboard again to see if I can figure out what I did wrong.

markroth
Paper Tape
Views: 678
Message 3 of 5

Well, I opened the machine.

Slid the UltraBay battery back in and heard the click of the latch.

I made sure the battery was in securely, reattached the keyboard, and turned the computer over to put the screws back in...

...and felt the battery slide out against my hand again!

I sure hope somebody here can tell me a thing or two...that's helpful.

Please?

Mark

PS: I purchased it on Amazon (yes, that links to the product page). It is FRU P/N 41A4118.

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 649
Message 4 of 5

Mark,

sorry I didn't read the first line in your other thread properly, or it didn't quite register properly.  That battery isn't compatible with the R51e, the system doesn't have the connector on the interposer board for it. Smiley Sad

Battery Options - ThinkPad R50, R50e, R50p, R51, R51e, R52

It may be possible to get it to fit by swapping out the interposer board, but I can't be sure having not done it, also the board may not be compatible with your mainboard - dunno??  Please post the type and model number of your system and I'll do some investigating.

For longer battery life you will see in the above document that the 9 cell battery would be a workable solution.

Sorry for being the bearer of bad news Smiley Sad

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

markroth
Paper Tape
Views: 640
Message 5 of 5

RESOLVED: R51e -- Installing UltraBay Battery

Thank you, Andy, for your wonderful help with this issue!

I also really appreciate your willingness to do further research on this for me.

There's no need. I've already scheduled a return to Amazon on the basis that the item is not compatible with the R51e, though the listing states repeatedly that it is.

I'm glad to be rid of the thing. I lost a bunch of time on it, but I (re)learned some important lessons.

And, thanks to you and Anastasios, I learned some good things about my computer as well.

Grateful for this forum and for the help I got from you two,

Mark

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors