Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
markroth
Paper Tape
Views: 884
Message 1 of 8

R51e -- Removing DVD Drive

I (accidentally; well, carelessly) purchased an UltraBay battery. I decided to keep it instead of returning it.

Alas, I have yet to figure out how to remove the DVD drive. I move the little lever/switch/whatever-it-is, but nothing helpful releases or otherwise happens that I can tell.

I've looked online. I even found a link here on lenovo.com that's allegedly to a movie demonstrating how this is done on an R51e...but it's for an R50e.

I hope you can help me, please.

Anastasios
Bit Torrent
Views: 874
Message 2 of 8

Re: R51e -- Removing DVD Drive

Hi Mark,

I'm guessing there is a "security screw" in the back which you must first remove. Some people install a screw here to prevent the drive from being easily removed/ stolen:

R51 series CD DVD ultrabay enhanced drive security screw- small.jpg

Views: 865
Message 3 of 8

Hello, Anastasios.

Thanks for your reply.

No, there's no security screw there.

(Neither does any pull tab pop out when I move the switch.)

Still puzzling over this one,

Mark

Anastasios
Bit Torrent
Views: 845
Message 4 of 8

Hi Mark,

too bad there wasn't a security screw there. That would've been the easiest scenario.

Unfortunately, it sounds like the spring-release mechanism is broken.

*** Edit: Thanks to SuperMod andyP for pointing out that the R51e is different from other R51's in that it does not have a spring release mechanism. You must remove the keyboard to remove the optical drive. The optical drive removal movie you found on the Lenovo support site for the R50e also applies to the R51e: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/product-and-parts/detail.page?&LegacyDocID=MIGR-55596              

You will also find more helpful information in the R51e Hardware Maintenance Manual.

Views: 837
Message 5 of 8

@Anastasios wrote:

Unfortunately, it sounds like the spring-release mechanism is broken.

The R51e did not have a spring release mechanism as seen on other ThinkPads such as the R50 / R51; they were "cheaper" versions and this is a feature which wasn't included on some systems, also some didn't have a touchpad.

@ Mark,

the instructions you found for the R50e should be correct for the R51e as there were no chasis modifications between the two models.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

markroth
Paper Tape
Views: 808
Message 6 of 8

Thank you, Anastasios and Andy!

On my way home from my morning job, I suddenly thought, "I wonder if that video I saw is also supposed to be how it's done for the R51e, even though the page title doesn't say so!" It was a very unpleasant thought. Smiley Sad So I hoped it was also a mistaken one.

Then I got home and checked here . . . Smiley Sad

Oh well. It's a ridiculous arrangement, but that can't be helped. It helps drive home the lesson in my head: Read the item description carefully before purchasing.

What a bunch of messing around to swap out a battery! I just assumed that swapping out of the ultrabay would be as simple and easy as it was in an older ThinkPad I have around here somewhere. Lesson #2: Assume at your own risk.

Well, at least the mystery is solved.

Again, thanks to both of you for your help!

And (no) thanks to Lenovo/IBM/ThinkPad for the opportunity to reinforce some important lessons,

Mark

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 802
Message 7 of 8

Mark,

thanks for coming back and marking the thread as solved, and yes your notes in bold are, for all, good advice.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

markroth
Paper Tape
Views: 777
Message 8 of 8

I have a new problem. It's the sequel to this threadSmiley Frustrated

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors