Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
duckamuk
Paper Tape
Views: 5,517
Message 1 of 9

R52 Beep codes

I have a R52 that came with 256Mb of RAM.  I ordered new memory from Crucial, using thier tool to identify the right memory for my system.  Regardless of the memory configuration I could not get the system to boot.  So I put the original memory back in, and it is still giving me a series of beeps.

I've tried to locate a document on Lenovo's site explaining the beep codes, but none match what I'm experiencing.

When I power on the unit I get beeps in the following sequence:

3 - 1 - 4 - 3

There is no video display.

Any advice?

Thanks

Guru
Views: 5,497
Message 2 of 9

Re: R52 Beep codes

Welcome to the forum!

Could you please post the 7-character model number of your R52 to help us assist you better?

Good luck and let us know. 

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
duckamuk
Paper Tape
Views: 5,471
Message 3 of 9

Thank you for responding!

The seven character product id is: 185928U.

Mike

Guru
Views: 5,461
Message 4 of 9

Your machine should run on PC4200 or PC5300 RAM. Is that what you're installing?

Good luck and let us know. 

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
nambinhvu
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,309
Message 5 of 9

I have the same exact problem.  Sometimes it doesn't beep though.  Sometimes if I punch the keyboard it turns on, but if I move it a little it dies and the screen goes blank.  It stays on, but the screen doesn't show anything.  I'm not sure what's wrong or if anything is loose.  I took the keyboard off and checked under I couldn't find anything loose.  Eventually the hard drive died I think from too much shock, so I put in a new one.  It still has the same problem.  I got XP and all the drivers on it and then it died while windows was booting up and couldn't start ever again.  Now it beeps and never starts up.  Not even the IBM startup screen shows.  Someone let me know if a solution is found.
duckamuk
Paper Tape
Views: 5,242
Message 6 of 9

George, 

My apologies for the long delay.  

Yes, I am using PC4200 memory in the laptop.  Even if I remove the new memory and put back the original I get the same beep code.

Thanks

nambinhvu
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,236
Message 7 of 9

I'm thinking it's a video problem.  I guess this laptop is going to be turned into spare parts.  Probably not worth it to have it fixed at this point.
duckamuk
Paper Tape
Views: 5,014
Message 8 of 9

I never had any video problems on this laptop.  In my case the laptop worked fine (albeit slow) until I changed the memory. 

Does anyone have any insights as to the beep coded I'm getting?  

mr_tijn
What's DOS?
Views: 4,660
Message 9 of 9

Same beep code here. I changed memory some months ago and everything worked ok until now. Removed the memory bank at the back and got it to boot, only to hang after a few minutes: so i guess memory has definitely got sth to do with it.
Top Kudoed Authors