Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oleg_r
Paper Tape
Views: 2,911
Message 1 of 6

R61: Rescue & Recovery

Hi,

I have Lenovo R61 laptop with pre-installed Windows Vista Business OS. When I bought it, there were only Rescue and Recovery disks for downgrading Windows Vista to Windows XP in the package, no Windows Vista disks. Now I need these disks to move OS with all installed software to a new HDD. I know that Lenovo's laptops have special partition in HDD with OS image and some other software pre-installed at the factory and this can be used to create required Rescue and Recovery disks using Rescue & Recovery utility from ThinkVantage package. For some reason, I don't have this utility on my laptop. Another problem is how blue 'ThinkVantage' button works during the boot. When I press it, it prints that Windows files are loading and then shows Rescue and Recovery splash screen. No buttons, no menus. After some time waiting, Product Recovery dialog is shown that suggests choosing between two options:

- Full recovery to factory settings

- Selective recovery

None of these suits me, since I don't want to change anything in my HDD.

If I press 'Cancel' button on this dialog, it disappears and my laptop reboots. I even cannot get to BIOS in the way described in User's Manual. (After playing a bit with 'Delete' button that I was repeatedly clicking after 'ThinkVantage' button was pressed, I finally managed to start BIOS Configuration Utility, but I doubt it is how this should work.)

Have anyone any idea about how to get to other Rescue and Recovery console functions? And where can I get Rescue & Recovery utility to add it to ThinkVantage package?

Thanks,

oleg_r

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 2,884
Message 2 of 6

Re: R61: Rescue & Recovery

Hi oleg_r

Install/reinstall this:- http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-4Q2QAK.html

Hope it will help.

------------------------------------------------------------

Maliha (I don't work for lenovo)
ThinkPads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]

IdeaPad: U350

Apple:- Macbook Air [Snow Leopard]
Did someone help you today? Compliment them with a
Kudos!
Was your question answered today? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
de.gif  Lenovo Deutsche Community   es.gif  Lenovo Comunidad en Español 
Visit my YouTube Channel

NCC
Paper Tape
Views: 2,868
Message 3 of 6

FYI Acronis True Image cloning feature proved very efficient in moving OS and everything else onto new HDDs.

To do it on a single R61 we use multibay SATA adapter for 2-d HDD (part # 40Y8725 ) & 1 bootable USB Flash with a DOS version of Acronis True Image 9 and/or 11 (Win version of ATI offers to create a DOS bootable copy on a USB Flag media, among other options)). You boot with USB/ATI, go to Clone section, the rest of the procedure is uneventful.

Pretty efficient, foolproof.

oleg_r
Paper Tape
Views: 2,822
Message 4 of 6

Hi NCC,

Thank you very much for advice. I successfully cloned old HDD to new one using Acronis True Image (I connected both HDDs to a desktop).

oleg_r
Paper Tape
Views: 2,811
Message 5 of 6

Hi Maliha,

Thank you for reference. After cloning the entire HDD with Acronis True Image, I've downloaded and installed Rescue & Recovery for Windows Vista just in case and now I have bunch of menus and buttons when blue ThinkVantage button is pressed during the boot Smiley Happy. Thank you again.

tricolorbeech
Paper Tape
Views: 2,721
Message 6 of 6

Would you be interested in selling the xp recovery media?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors